got droid wet...now i have big issues.

Banana88

Reaction score
I was showing my friend my new retro camera app and i dropped my phone into a cup of juice. luckily it was less than two inches of juice and it dropped mouth speaker first. BUT i popped out the battery and checked the water marks and there still white with the red crosses on them..which means i didn't do any damage to the battery. I had to leave and go to a doc app so i put my pieces in my purse in a tissue to dry. when was home an hour later i put the battery back in and turned it on...nothing happened....so i thought. come to find out the phone turned on but the back-light is completely out. so the phone is on but i cant see anything. i can unlock it and answer calls only cause i know where to touch to do these things. I dont have any insurance and i haven't alerted Verizon to my issue ....any suggestions or comments of a positive nature is greatly appreciated.

Obviously im an idiot for doing anything with my phone near liquids. So if there are any comments about how i was stupid for doing that, is stupid yourself for stating the obvious.

Thanks so much for those who comment to help me out.:icon_ banana:

Last edited by a moderator:

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
An hour isn't nearly enough time to let it dry out. Somewhere here there is an excellent article about properly drying your phone if you haven't already toasted it.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
B

Banana88

Reaction score
well, i forgot to mention it was about 4 days ago and its been in a cup of dry rice since then and i occasionally pop the battery back in to see if theres a difference. but still no back light but phone still turns on.

OP
B

Banana88

Reaction score
i know you probably dont live in my area but where can i go for that kind of thing to be done? i cant just go to a normal computer store right? i dont even know where to start looking.
BTW, thank you so much for your advice.

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
i know you probably dont live in my area but where can i go for that kind of thing to be done? i cant just go to a normal computer store right? i dont even know where to start looking.
BTW, thank you so much for your advice.
You'll think this is odd, but check Craigslist for a phone place that replaces Droid screens. A buddy dropped his Droid 1 and the screen went out. It didn't break - just went out - phone would still boot up, etc., but only the backlight on the screen was visible - no image. You could even "see" the screen in ADB screen capture over USB, but not on the screen itself. Took it to have the screen replaced but it turned out the screen was good and it was actually the "motherboard" (for lack of a better word). Probably the physical connection. Put their motherboard in his phone -- works great -- put his motherboard in their phone - same issue -- boots up, but black screen. For those that will ask, yes, also reflashed it back to stock with SBF just to be sure it wasn't corruption or something. Anyway, they installed their "clean ESN" motherboard in his phone and charged him $130 for the whole thing including labor. Not too bad.

Pretty much any of the "cell phone repair" places probably keeps spares for the Droid 1. These guys had brand new replacement screens, the ribbon cable assemblies, etc., but the motherboard they had to harvest out of a donor.

Hope that helps.

[Edit: This was awhile ago. Now you can get whole used Droids for about $100, so that would be a smarter plan now.]

Last edited:
OP
B

Banana88

Reaction score
ok, took your advice and found a repair man who said i will have to replace the entire LCD screen. now i am asking him for the price. thank you so very much for your help.

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
ok, took your advice and found a repair man who said i will have to replace the entire LCD screen. now i am asking him for the price. thank you so very much for your help.
Around here a brand new screen, installed is about $85. I'd also make sure that if that's not the problem you're not stuck with a new screen and still have a defunct phone. Some places might play like "nope, that wasn't it, but now you've got a new screen. For $X more we can try the next thing."

The guys who worked on my friend's phone were cool. They didn't charge for any of the things they tried that didn't work (screen, slider assembly with ribbon, etc.) -- just for the final part/install that fixed it.