1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

got droid 3............probly goin rambo

Discussion in 'Droid 3 Hacks' started by 93fuelslut, Sep 30, 2011.

1. 93fuelslut

93fuelslut New Member

I got droid3 and abt to root thisbad boy....any roms that are good I should try? I got cm7 and love it....lookin for fast internet and battery but also a rom I can customize like cm7 with custom themes an stuff like that.....thanks
  2. graffitiwriter

graffitiwriter New Member

There's only one rom for this phone...steeldroid....But hopefully more coming soon.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums
  3. DeadDroid3

DeadDroid3 New Member

We just got root a month ago. Steel Droid just came out... last week I think.
    Look at existing posts carefully before doing anything. Follow instructions or you will brick your phone, guarantied. Check out xda forum for the bloatware removal/retrieval scripts. radio hack.. good if you have unlimited data still and want to use this as a free wireless hotspot. It is the only way to do it. Make sure you do your research. I'm assuming you didn't since you were asking which ROM to get when there is only one. I might seem like a #$!* but I'm just trying to protect you from a huge recovery hassle. Goodluck and best wishes!

4. 93fuelslut

93fuelslut New Member

Yea man I agree...I bricked my d2g playin around and kinkyindahead fixed it for me..and cm7 is awesome...do u know if steel droid is worth the time and effort?
  5. DeadDroid3

DeadDroid3 New Member

I honestly haven't tried it yet. I have it downloaded but I am not sure if I want to mess with it since I don't believe there is a custom kernel yet and I don't care too much about theming. You'll have to ask others about that. I have updated/root/bloatware frozen/wifi tether hack and that's it for now. Maybe ill try SD this week.. idk.

6. 93fuelslut

93fuelslut New Member

What happens if u run steel droid without a custom kernal
  7. DeadDroid3

DeadDroid3 New Member

Well, the custom kernel let's you access overclocking/underclocking of the cpu, and would be the main reason I would want a custom rom, but that's just me. If you want a custom rom, SD is the only one, so you will have to use it for now if having a custom rom is important to you. Cryogen might come to D3 eventually since that's your favorite I am sure you will want it when it comes out. For now SD seems to be popular, and if you are looking to get as much new on your phone as you can then there you go. SD + OTA update + Wifi radio hack + bloatware removal/app freeze and you will be as up to date hack/mod wise as anyone can be yet. Check out XDA forums for specifics on all of these, they have most of them stickied. Keep checking for new stuff, it has been coming pretty quickly since root was obtained, so new roms and whatnot probably won't be too far away. Have fun and be careful! :D

8. 93fuelslut

93fuelslut New Member

What's the point of overclocking an underclocking? Thanks
  9. DeadDroid3

DeadDroid3 New Member

Underclocking for battery more than anything. Overclocking for more power. I would like to underclock when the phone is idle to save battery for when I'm using it. My computer does this. Goes from 800 mhz to 3.2 GHz depending on if I'm using it...or rather if the CPU's are active.

10. tcrews

tcrews Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Locked bootloader = no custom kernel. Overclocking may be possible with addition kernel modules but they have yet to be developed/coded.

No ROMs yet that are anything other than the stock rom with apps removed, framework graphic changes and build.prop edits. It'll be a while before fully source compiled ROMs are available though I hear rumors that a "kanged" CM7 may be coming very soon. Hashcode is working on a fork of CM's source for the Droid 3.