1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Got an overclock question for you guys (SetCPU/Roms)

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by wil318466, Jan 30, 2010.

1. wil318466

wil318466 New Member

I went through the steps of installing the 800 mhz hack, but then read afterwards that you needed to have a rom installed to actually have it goto 800 mhz.

In a nutshell, can the phone be overclocked without the rom? Because, whatever I did, this thing is faster. Its not my imagination. I do NOT have the smoke ROM installed. SetCPU does say 800 Mhz as max speed up top, but on the slider bar it says max is 550.

The phone flies. Switching GDE screens is easily 2 times faster. The app drawer is *MUCH* faster than it was. I'm downright amazed and the difference in "feel" of the phone.

So, like I said, can it be overclocked without the rom installed? I would think people would answer "no" but its NOT my imagination, my phone is blazingly fast. Whats going on here?

-Wil
  2. bL33d

bL33d New Member

Ya u are flashing the boot image to oc I mean u could have
    Stock 2.0.1 with just root/sprecovery and oc it.
  3. hughesjr

hughesjr New Member

If you are using set CPU, make sure you select 'detect speed' and not Droid. Selecting droid will set the max based on the cpu specs and not the kernel.
  4. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad

On my overclocked Droid I found that after I had first selected Droid on the Setcpu program and then went back and selected "autodetect", I had to reboot the Droid to have the program actually do autodetect. YMMV.
  5. wil318466

wil318466 New Member

Great, thanks man. I did do waht you said, but it seems its the same speed. Still, I'm very happy.

-Wil
  6. wil318466

wil318466 New Member

OK, because I read that you had to have a ROM installed. Its definately faster without the ROM.

I wonder why tey wrote that in thecomments of setCPU.

-Wil
  7. ydnandy

ydnandy New Member

Maybe they didnt mean a ROM in the sense of design and feature changes, but instead had a poor choice of words to describe flashing the boot image. I haven't installed anyone's ROM, but I did have to flash my boot image to utilize the setcpu and OC.
  8. LrdElderon

LrdElderon New Member

The rom does not matter at all, it's what kernel image you have flashed. the kernel image is what is overclocking the cpu. Just as was said earlier if you select droid it will use the default droid cpu speed as it's basis (550mhz). autodetect lets it just see what kernel you have and that lets you use the overclocked cores up to 1ghz +.

plus just to check you are using 1.4.4a of setcpu right?
  9. LrdElderon

LrdElderon New Member

I may be misunderstanding you, but you do have to flash over /boot with an overlocked kernel image to have the higher speeds. But if you have the nandroid copies of the kernels then yeah you can use stock 2.0.1 and use sprecovery to load the new kernels.....
  10. wil318466

wil318466 New Member

yes, 1.4.4a. Thanks.
  11. bishop7262

bishop7262 New Member

I installed the beast rom and have setcpu. It shows the max at 550 on the slider but does not allow me to increase it beyond that. It does show that max 800 mhz up top in green. I do not see where there is an auto detect like people are posting up above.
  12. souperman11

souperman11 New Member

When you start SetCPU, click the menu button, then hit device selection. After that, scroll all the way down, and Autodetect should be the last option.
  13. wil318466

wil318466 New Member

As dumb as this sounds, I had no idea you could scroll down on that list to select "auto detect" until today.

Also, as a note : I had my phone saying it could go up to 880mhz but I had it set to 550, but the phone was faster. in other words, what I'm saying is that it may say 550, but it sure didn't feel like it was set at max 550. I had it set at 550 all last night, but it was faster. I bumped it up to 800 today, but there was NO difference.

What I'm saying is I don't think that setCPU is accurate. I could 100% see a difference last night right after I overclocked, and the setting was at 550.

-Wil
  14. KukiKid

KukiKid New Member

Ok im admitting my noobness right now and asking,...
    Auto Detect does not let me select 800mhz all it does is show me my speeds in Khz.. I increased my min speeds to 550Mhz what does that do?
    I just rooted and am on stock 2.0.1. I have no clue what flashing or anything like that is so I haven't done anything except root. Increasing the min seems to make my phone way faster though...
  15. wil318466

wil318466 New Member

Are you sure you are in auto detect ant not "custom freq config"? The custom mode is in KHZ.

Just checking..

-Wil
  16. KukiKid

KukiKid New Member

Well, I know im not overclocking to 550000Mhz and yes im on auto detect...
  17. wil318466

wil318466 New Member

Oh, also.. to answer your question, the "Min" setting is what speed it'll be when in sleep mode. You don't want to be at 550 during sleep mode.

-Wil
  18. KukiKid

KukiKid New Member

Ok but now how do I get to 800Mhz?
    I just tried making a custom .txt and it still did not work, only says 550 at the top and the speed is not there
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  19. wil318466

wil318466 New Member

You've installed the kernal and flashed it, right?
  20. KukiKid

KukiKid New Member

I have no idea of anything you just said, I have stock rooted droid and thats all. A guide to the things your talking about would be helpful please.
Search tags for this page
how to overclock to 1ghz using set cpu

how to set cpu icysnap rom

using setcpu to overclock