Got a New Bluray Player. I Can Now See What the Hub Bub Is All About

Discussion in 'Cord Cutters Forum' started by mountainbikermark, Apr 8, 2017.

1. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,348
    I joined the first decade of the 21st century a couple of years ago by getting a bluray player that had Netflix on it as well. It required either a hard wire connection to a computer or a Wi-Fi dongle to work and I never got it to work plus I loathed everything about it as the ui sucked, the remote sucked, it was slower than watching grass grow to react to input changes and other bothersome annoyances.
    Today I got my honey do list done early and was gonna watch a movie and catch a nap (every time I start a disc I fall asleep) but the piece of junk player wouldn't go beyond the start on the front display , the tv showed no input, the door wouldn't open to put in a disc and it was hot enough to fry an egg. Good riddance. Off to Best Buy to look at a player so I can catch my nap belatedly. They had an LG one that was priced right with built in Wi-Fi (no bull crap way of getting to the internet this time for firmware updates). I get home, hook it up, get the network going and start playing with the menu stuff. Got to "Premium Content" and holy cow, not only Netflix but Hulu, Amazon Prime, Pandora and a bunch of stuff I've never heard of.
    The ui of the player is very nice, set up was a breeze and with Mr being a Netflix user, a Pandora user and having a Prime membership I can see my television being used much more often for streaming than watching PLUS with the LG remote app it works the remote from my phone over Wi-Fi so all of our portabledevices are capable in case I don't feel like looking for the remote.Blacklist and Longmire are much more fun to watch on a big tv than a phablet.

2. PereDroid

PereDroid DF News Team Reporter

Ratings:
    +3,902
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Turbo 2
    I don't even know what to say to this.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

3. Mustang02

Mustang02 Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +6,072
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P/5X
    So it's streaming?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

4. Miklb58

Miklb58 Active Member

Ratings:
    +193
    Netflix? Hulu? What are those, video games of some sort?
    (Sarcasm)
    Don't feel so bad, I don't have a Blu-ray player. Shoot, my DVD hasn't worked in years.

We bought a Samsung big screen smart tv a few years ago, and 95% of our viewing is streaming.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

5. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,348
    Yes it can stream all those things plus play bluray , DVD or content from a flash drive or I can plug my phone/tablet into it and play photo/video/audio content and it has some "BD Capability" which I don't even know what that is but I'm guessing by the description and plethora of security settings for it it's some kind of stream a movie or something from somewhere.

Only reason I upgraded to a bluray back then was my daughters DVD player broke and my local library has tons of bluray disks I can borrow for free but they never had the titles I like in DVD format.
    I ended up having the movie play (the newest Star Trek) while I played with my granddaughter, my 9 year old daughter and my dogs instead of really watching it because it seemed like they truly jumped the shark with that movie every time I watched tidbits. No wonder they had 5 copies left on a Saturday.
    The Wi-Fi has dropped a few times and the player froze up once but I read reviews about that model, and other LG models, having their last firmware update cause network issues and it updated its firmware when I first established a connection. It's how Netflix was about a year ago so it's no biggie. Freezes, back out, reboot, works fine, just like Netflix used to do to my phones and tablets.

#5 mountainbikermark, Apr 8, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  6. Mustang02

Mustang02 Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +6,072
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P/5X
    Don't feel bad. I've never owned a Blu-ray. Don't own a DVD player unless you could the xbone. Never used it though.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

7. drexnerd

drexnerd New Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Current Phone Model:
    V20
    Streaming ftw. I never truly considered how much of an effort it was to get up and change the disc until I could control everything from my lap. I'm surprised they still sell DVD players actually :D

• Like Like x 1