Got a Froyo (2.2) Update Email

vtek63

Reaction score
A DROID update for you and your employees

DROID by Motorola - even better with Android™ 2.2 (Froyo)!
Within the next few weeks, two over the air software updates will be sent to the DROID
devices on your company's account. The first update will bring the device operating
system to Android 2.2. The second update will enable users to download Adobe® Flash®
Player 10 for Android to the device once it is available in the Android Marketplace.

With the Android 2.2 (Froyo) free software update, the people on your account
who use the DROID device will enjoy these and many more enhancements:

New security options including:

– Remote device wipe and device lock.

– Password complexity and minimum password length.

– Wipe after a certain number of password attempts and enforcement of
auto lockout time.

Enhanced browser performance for faster loading of JavaScript heavy pages.

Easy shortcuts for access to the phone, application launcher, and browser
from any of the five home screens.

Use Bluetooth® voice dialing for hands-free calling and hear your instructions
repeated back for accuracy.

Improved Web browsing with Adobe® Flash® Player 10.1 for Android.
After completing the software update, download and install Adobe Flash
(available late summer) from the Verizon Tab in the Android Market to view
your favorite Flash powered websites and access Flash based applications.

As with any update, the user will be notified that a system update is available on the device.
Press "install now" and the device will power off and back on, and the installation process
will begin.

For a complete list of enhancements, updates on availability of Adobe® Flash® Player 10.1
for Android, as well as step-by-step instructions on how to install the update please
visit verizonwireless.com/droidsupport.

Please share this exciting news and update instructions with the people on your account
who have the DROID device.

While the update is free, data charges may apply.

heycow

Reaction score
Sorry..."DROID by Motorola" is the Droid 1, not the Droid X...

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Agreed, X is not mentioned.

two over the air software updates will be sent to the DROID
devices on your company's account. The first update will bring the device operating
system to Android 2.2. The second update will enable users to download Adobe® Flash®
Player 10 for Android to the device once it is available in the Android Marketplace.
Interesting that they're talking about 2 over the air updates. Will another OTA be necessary for the Droid to support Flash? I thought 2.2 was enough to support flash. Or are they just confused when trying to say that Flash will be available in the market at a later date? Is there really going to be a second OTA? Is this a special corporate OTA that has nothing to do with the rest of us??? So many questions now.

OP
V

vtek63

Reaction score
My X is the only android device on our company account.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Oh, OK, reading it again it sounds like they mean Droid 1 and Droid X (and maybe even Droid 2) when they refer to DROID.

I'm still confused about the number of OTAs they're talking about and when Flash is supported. Perhaps your company has a special deal where Flash will be automatically pushed OTA? Kinda strange. Don't know what to make of the email.

Reaction score
I have emailed my VZW account managers for clarification... I read this as being the "DROID 1" only... they emailed this out to anyone that is a Business Verzion Wireless account manager from what I can tell, not if you have Droids on your account.

Reaction score
Spoke at length with my Verizon Account manager, and confirmed that this covers all Android phones manufactured by Motorola and on Verizon's network. (Namely: Droid 1, Droid 2, Devour, and Droid X will all be on 2.2 after the updates run their course.)

The Froyo push will be an OTA "randomly" each night which actually started yesterday and will continue to be pushed out until complete.

The 2.2 Froyo upgrade is SEPARATE of the Flash Software installation, which is actually slated for release later in August via the Android Market.

The OS upgrades are released by the manufacturer of the phones, so sorry HTC & LG Android users, no update for you yet.

Spydaz

Reaction score
Spoke at length with my Verizon Account manager, and confirmed that this covers all Android phones manufactured by Motorola and on Verizon's network. (Namely: Droid 1, Droid 2, Devour, and Droid X will all be on 2.2 after the updates run their course.)

The Froyo push will be an OTA "randomly" each night which actually started yesterday and will continue to be pushed out until complete.

The 2.2 Froyo upgrade is SEPARATE of the Flash Software installation, which is actually slated for release later in August via the Android Market.

The OS upgrades are released by the manufacturer of the phones, so sorry HTC & LG Android users, no update for you yet.

Precisely what i was told by VZW tech! NICE! dancedroid

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
Well, I hope that at least one person who gets the notice that the update is on their phone and requesting to install will grab the update.zip off the SD card before letting it go on so we can see if it matches the original FRG01B "OTA" file or if it is a newer file that is FRG22 (or possibly something else).

unknowndroid

Reaction score
A DROID update for you and your employees
DROID by Motorola - even better with Android™ 2.2 (Froyo)!.......

For a complete list of enhancements, updates on availability of Adobe® Flash® Player 10.1
for Android, as well as step-by-step instructions on how to install the update please
visit verizonwireless.com/droidsupport.

Please share this exciting news and update instructions with the people on your account
who have the DROID device.

The site listed in the email is the DROID suport site...NOT the Droid X support site, not the Droid Incredible support site. There are separate support sites on Verizonwireless.com for each model. Nice wishful thinking, but Verizon's marketing is VERY specific. They always refer to the D1 as the DROID by Motorola, the DI as the DROID Incredible, the DX at the DROID X by Motorola, etc. They send bulk emails to business accounts sometimes, it happens, but there is nothing in this email that points to anything other than the DROID by Motorola (D1)