Got a Droid Pro today - what are some key things I should do?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Get the extended battery -- Honestly, it's worth the $50 (or $35 if you have the discounts) and you wont have to spend any time fighting with settings or apps to preserve battery life. My wife keeps her GPS, WiFi, and BT on all the time, and she puts the phone on the charger at about 40% every night.

VinnyWags

Reaction score
Yeah I agree with the battery post...had my pro for a couple of days now....for sure battery life is an issue.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

MO3iusONE

Reaction score
Yes extended battery helps a lot!

StingRay

Reaction score
As far as some general android apps, I would check out:

Beautiful Widgets (a nice clock/weather widget app)
Setting Profiles (create profiles with different ringtones, settings based on time of day or location)
Screeble (allows you to control screen time out)
Dolphin Browser HD (internet browser)
Touiteur (Twitter client for Android)
Astro File Manager
WordFeud (Android version of Words with Friends (scrabble))
SportsTap

jhalsey205

Reaction score
Here's a pretty good thread regarding how some members have configured their Pro: LINK.

Tweaks around "battery life" are popular (and necessary). In addition to getting an extended battery, you may wish to "root" your Pro. This will allow you to apply additional tweaks or apps. My "power management" tweaks include: Rooted via z4root
  • Screebl Pro
  • SetCPU (throttle down to 300 when screen off)
  • AutoKiller Memory Optimizer
  • Uninstalled or frozen a bunch of stuff i don't use via Titanium Backup
  • Changed phone radio from global to cdma
  • App 2 SD

mbd4524

Reaction score
Here's a pretty good thread regarding how some members have configured their Pro: LINK.

Tweaks around "battery life" are popular (and necessary). In addition to getting an extended battery, you may wish to "root" your Pro. This will allow you to apply additional tweaks or apps. My "power management" tweaks include: Rooted via z4root
  • Screebl Pro
  • SetCPU (throttle down to 300 when screen off)
  • AutoKiller Memory Optimizer
  • Uninstalled or frozen a bunch of stuff i don't use via Titanium Backup
  • Changed phone radio from global to cdma
  • App 2 SD
Is there no way to freeze apps that are running with rooting the phone? I am very new to android and would really like to avoid rooting, however, I can barely get through half a day with my battery.

rafeee2

Reaction score
Get the extended battery -- Honestly, it's worth the $50 (or $35 if you have the discounts) and you wont have to spend any time fighting with settings or apps to preserve battery life. My wife keeps her GPS, WiFi, and BT on all the time, and she puts the phone on the charger at about 40% every night.

So what's the weight difference between the standard battery & the extended one? Coz if it's too heavy I think it can spoil the phone's weight distribution (sorry, car fan here :)) and make it feel clumsy.

TheLastNative

Reaction score
I have a Droid 2 so I may not be beneficial here, but I have no problem with battery life. I'm able to push up to 28 hours on a single charge with good use.

Do pros really suck that much battery?

mystery252

Reaction score
The extended battery adds a little weight and it basically evens out the back of the phone. Personally I think it feels better with the extended battery than with the oem battery.

RT55

Reaction score
Extended battery is $50? I bought the phone yesterday.. if I buy additional extended battery it is $50 or do you mean to upgrade the phone from standard battery to extended is $50.

How are some people getting it for $35?

blingchopr

Reaction score
I have a Droid 2 so I may not be beneficial here, but I have no problem with battery life. I'm able to push up to 28 hours on a single charge with good use.

Do pros really suck that much battery?

yes it does! i have both the droid 2 and the pro and the droid 2 last a lot longer. i just got the extended battery for my pro though and it is awesome now. just wish they would come out with a belt clip holster that doesnt require a case. i hate having a case on my phone.

akosnitzky

Reaction score
I am part of the $35 group as well. Call the corp offiice. This is my first Droid. For battery conservation I was dumping more apps then adding. My phone is still unrooted.