Gorilla glass

wildride89

Reaction score
I remember you guys talking about gorilla glass being used on phones like droid 1. What phones are they using it on now?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
its on the DX if thats what ur wondering.. (or why u posted in the DX section lol)

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
not saying that. it can still be scratched but its a lot harder than the other plastics used on older screens

i have a screen protector

the5barrons

Reaction score
Technically speaking..no. I think we all use the screen protectors as a just in case. I didn't have anything on my storm and it never got scratched. Not saying it can't happen, and I haven't heard of anyone with a dx that complained about the glass....

Swyped while being lazy in the DXForumApp

chefb

Reaction score
I had my X for the weeks before it got scratched...but I had it on a exposed pocket protector, and I work in a kitchen....only one scratch....now sporting screen protector and it covers the scratch.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
A screen protector is a good idea because anything short of a diamond can be scratched. Gorilla Glass just means it's incredibly tough and can be incredibly thin and hold up. :D This means lighter and better with temperature variations and extremes.

Look on eBay. They're dirt cheap.

Benjamin Stone

Reaction score
Rather than post a new thread (or search the archives...heh) I'll ask:

Any opinions on what the best screen protector is?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Anything but the first ones Verizon was selling. ;)

The ones I got from eBay were sold by clearscreenprotectors.com -- worked fine, never a problem with touch recognition, but a lot of grease build up under it and eventually had to pull it off to clean the screen. I imagine that's a common problem with all screen protectors.

I got 3 for either $1.02 delivered or $3 and still have one I need to get on later. :)

DWIM

Reaction score
NB, first post...

Re screen protectors I've used: Have used several other PDAs + iPAD currently. FWIW, I've used BoxWave's crystal protectors for several years (< 10 tho). Not assoc w/them at all. Just happy w/their protectors. Just got a Droid2 + a DroidX so ordered 1 each yesterday. We'll see, but if their history (at least w/me) is an indicator, it'll be great. Can't speak to other protectors since I haven't used others.

OP
wildride89

wildride89

Reaction score
Technically speaking..no. I think we all use the screen protectors as a just in case. I didn't have anything on my storm and it never got scratched. Not saying it can't happen, and I haven't heard of anyone with a dx that complained about the glass....

How did you get the wallpaper like that?

DWIM

Reaction score
Continuing from my prior post in this thread: Got the BoxWave (BW) screen protector. Put it on my Dx last night, then laid it next to my wife's D2. What a difference! D2's got the VZW protector; mine's got the BW Crystal protector. The BW protector is a keeper; can't even tell it's on there from a screen brilliance point of view. There's a lot less reflection in the VZW protector though. The reflection from the BW protector is the same as on the Dx naked (fine by me tho). Fit is great. There's a really narrow area all around the BW protector as compared to the screen itself, but certainly well covers the useable area on the Dx screen. Not assoc w/BW or any other vendor; just providing my feedback, should that be helpful to someone. FWIW, I used the same BW protector on my Sammy i760 (yea, Windoze) since the i760 first came out (early adopter). I used a Krusell holster for the i760 and there's a wear pattern on the BW protector where the magnetic snap on the outside of the case pushed thru the leather onto the protector when the i760 was in the case (e.g., in the car w/seatbelt on pushing against outside of case).

Last edited:

the5barrons

Reaction score

How did you get the wallpaper like that?

It comes with 928 black glass theme...as a live wallpaper. The d2 eye.

R

RETG

Continuing from my prior post in this thread: Got the BoxWave (BW) screen protector. Put it on my Dx last night, then laid it next to my wife's D2. What a difference! D2's got the VZW protector; mine's got the BW Crystal protector. The BW protector is a keeper; can't even tell it's on there from a screen brilliance point of view. There's a lot less reflection in the VZW protector though. The reflection from the BW protector is the same as on the Dx naked (fine by me tho). Fit is great. There's a really narrow area all around the BW protector as compared to the screen itself, but certainly well covers the useable area on the Dx screen. Not assoc w/BW or any other vendor; just providing my feedback, should that be helpful to someone. FWIW, I used the same BW protector on my Sammy i760 (yea, Windoze) since the i760 first came out (early adopter). I used a Krusell holster for the i760 and there's a wear pattern on the BW protector where the magnetic snap on the outside of the case pushed thru the leather onto the protector when the i760 was in the case (e.g., in the car w/seatbelt on pushing against outside of case).

Another Boxwave user.
I'll explain why when I get my droid, it will have a boxwave.

Three of four years ago, I installed a Boxwave screen protection on a Pioneer AVIC nav unit installed in my Hummer. A few years later, I switched into another Hummer and transferred the unit. To this day, there are NO scratches on the protector.

I live in a desert, I drive in the desert almost daily. There are times I can hardly see the head unit screen due to a layer of red dust. My black dash is covered to the point it looks red. I take a microfiber cloth and clean off the screen to see it. And so far, there are NO scratches to the screen. Now, that impresses me.

I also have boxwave protectors on my personal Tour and on the issued Tour I use. No scratches on either of these units. And I subject both of these units to some extreme conditions. So far, I have replaced my leather pouch for one of the BBs twice due to being ripped while sliding down or scurrying up rock faces, but no scratches on the screens. (One of my BBs looks like it was dragged behind a car, but the screen is unscratched.)

I have used Zagg, and did not like the idea having to use water to apply, but Zaggs do scratch. Had them on previous phones and on my Nikon cameras. Each Zagg has been replaced with either a hardshell protector or a boxwave. Zagg did replace two of them for free; however, they in turn scratched so why keep replacing an item with an item that will fail. (I will say that even though the Zaggs scratched, they did save the screens they were protecting, so in a sense they did do the job. My Garmin 60CSx is a good example of that. So I will give Zagg credit for that.)

I will say that the conditions I subject my phones, head units, GPS units, cameras to are extreme when compared to 95% of the people. So in most cases, another brand might be ok. But for me, where I subject equipment to constant dust and sliding up and down rock faces, and cliffs, I'll continue to use Boxwave.

I do NOT work for Boxwave, I work for Uncle Sam.