Gorilla Glass smashed

OP
K

KMG

Reaction score
No not sarcasm. I didn't even think to research alternative insurance providers. At this point I sounder if it not best to find which phone with Mobil hotspot can be rebuilt without having to send out and run a pad for playing. My phone is a tool not a toy.

jhardy93

Reaction score
Did asurion replace your phone with a new razr at least? I have been doing a lot of resarch on them and it seems mixed wheter people get new or reburbished phones?

OP
K

KMG

Reaction score
Did asurion replace your phone with a new razr at least? I have been doing a lot of research on them and it seems mixed whether people get new or refurbished phones?

YES, they did replace me with a brand new phone because they did not have refurbished. I learned alott from this experience. I have also realized most people with a upper end phone wrap them in bulky large protective casing now because it s so expensive. Which seems defeating of the skinner refined designs.

jerryq2

Reaction score
I haven't switched from my DROID X when I first heard about this issue. I have dropped my DROID X several times some without a case have seen some really beat up x's as well. I wonder if the the glass was made thinner?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
K

KMG

Reaction score
I haven't switched from my DROID X when I first heard about this issue. I have dropped my DROID X several times some without a case have seen some really beat up x's as well. I wonder if the the glass was made thinner?

My droid 1 glass never broke. The it was the compoants for paraphinalia that always broke. Anyways the rear is a pretty sexy phone and its smart enough....anymore and I would just move into a netbook.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Gorilla Glass is just marketing IMO.

MIUI 2012.2.29

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7

I have little doubt it was made thinner, both to reduce thickness of the phone and also weight, though I haven't determined conclusively if that's so. I will tap the screens for my D1, D2 and RAZR and see if they sound much different which may be a clue but the only real way is to mic them both, and that would require disassembly which I am not interested in doing. Anybody wanna give it a try?

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hardly... :blink:

Yes its "tougher" than regular, but other phones have their own version that is just as good, if not better. Gorilla Glass has a strong name and good marketing, so everybody thinks that if a phone doesn't have it, its fragile and vice versa.

MIUI 2012.2.29

nikecar

Reaction score
Tell me you missed the part about the monopoly of the insurance provider before you posted.
As was posted afterwards, there are plenty of options if one googles. Just like car insurance, or shoudl I say, extended warranties. The Dealership isn't the only company that does that, although they will tell you so and charge as such.

Sarcasm? I'm sorry that I'm on my phone and can't do all the work for you...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
LOL

No not sarcasm. I didn't even think to research alternative insurance providers. At this point I sounder if it not best to find which phone with Mobil hotspot can be rebuilt without having to send out and run a pad for playing. My phone is a tool not a toy.

and....

YES, they did replace me with a brand new phone because they did not have refurbished. I learned alott from this experience. I have also realized most people with a upper end phone wrap them in bulky large protective casing now because it s so expensive. Which seems defeating of the skinner refined designs.

Since the phone is a tool, it should be protected as such. when I ordered my phone, i had the case for it ready to go. No way I'm not protecting it. I have an Otterbox Commuter on my phone, which is lighter and smaller than the larger Defender series. Its dropped twice in the last yr, once from about 2 feet, the other 1 foot, and its held up. Also got a screen protector on it too. its just common sense to protect your investment. My kid's leappad, ahh not so worried. My smartphone, even though its $50 when I got it, much more worried about it.

johnolenardo

Reaction score
Holy! I'm really sorry to hear that dude. I was skeptical of the Gorilla Glass so I purchased a protector through amazon, ArmorSuit. I'm pretty pleased with it thus far as it seems to be tough n durable.

Debating between using a protector or not has been settled by this. I hope your situation is improving!

topo209

Reaction score
Sucks man but it really does work I put it on top of my friend truck one day n she took off, a stranger found it 5 blocks away n returned it with very minor scratches, no case or screen protector. also I do the test with my friends all the time tell them to scratch it with their keys obviously tell them to don't go crazy either

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Yes its "tougher" than regular, but other phones have their own version that is just as good, if not better. Gorilla Glass has a strong name and good marketing, so everybody thinks that if a phone doesn't have it, its fragile and vice versa.

MIUI 2012.2.29

OK, that explanation I can give consideration to. I have seen the test results, and I'm not talking about people with keys, but drop and bend and scratch tests in labs, and the glass that has been doped is certainly considerably more resistant to damage than untreated glass. There are other types of glass out there that have similar properties. Whether they are better, not as good, or very close in performance is where the big question lies.

I do believe that people who know there is a more durable glass on their screens may tend to take more chances than they would with a phone that didn't advertise such protection and I think that may have contributed to some of the failed screens. There are enough ways that people use, carry and store their phones which are less than careful so damage is inevitable. The other all important question is whether this enhancement has led to less failures, more failures (for the reasons mentioned previously) or if the added protection has been directly offset by the increased risks people take with them to result in comparable failures on a per million basis.

I would love to see the statistical figures.