Gorilla Glass is Not on the Galaxy Nexus

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I was just reading another forum and people with the older Nexus phones without Gorilla Glass were chiming in about how those displays are tough a heck. One guy said he has dropped his phone on rocks, down stairs, had it in pocket with keys and has no scratches. I'm not worried about it.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
No gorilla glass, 4.65 inch screen. Expect best buy to make a killing off them invisshields.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

cubuff

Reaction score
Just slap a SGP ultra clear screen protector on and your golden.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Maybe it will have Asahi's Dragontrail glass! :icon_eek:

[video=youtube;WpbOoQpwAFs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpbOoQpwAFs[/video]

Chatchie

Reaction score
My Gorilla glass shattered pretty easily. I think its a bit over-hyped how strong Gorilla glass actually is. My friend dropped his on carpet and it cracked. Mine shattered on concrete.

Big Ry

Reaction score
In response to the Dragontrail video:
Thats a 1-point bend test lol

Im not terribly worried about it not having Gorilla glass either. Although I love the Gorilla glass on my D2 and D1. Sammy needs a glass that won't have high residual stresses when in the curved position; and perhaps Gorilla glass just can't be fabricated in a curved form. As others have mentioned, that doesn't mean there aren't other alternatives out there. It doesn't mean we're all going back to plastic blackberry screens! :eek:

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that Samsung (Or Google, if it was up to them) would ditch Gorilla Glass on their premier new phone that is going to be sold at $800 (!!!) off contract already because of cost. This is already one of the most expensive phones ever made. How could it affect the price much to add Gorilla Glass?
Lol, i like your thought process but meh, if you look at it what if the phone cost $400 to make including most of the primo stuff such as nfc and the target price is $500 but adding gorilla glass would make it $550 instead... that in turn makes the product more expensive for the consumer because they will still go after the same profit margin as set before the gorilla glass. While it is a primo phone, its not like they can shove everything in their and make it cheap. cheap meaning their price goal which they know consumers will buy. IM sure they could make a $1000 phone, but most consumers arnt going to buy that phone. if that makes sense.

Sniper_5

Reaction score
As long as Samsung states the brand name and it is a proven, quality product I'm still on board. I'm not rough on my phones but I work on cars alot. The plastic shell already concerned me as its more susceptible to chemical damage ( battery acid, brake/ trans fluid, gasoline) not that I submerge my phones in the stuff but its hard to get off your hands and residue can still do damage ( coating has been peeled off my D1 and DX from brake fluid residue) plus I've accidentally leaned on my phones when leaning into an engine bay once or twice. Obviously I move it one i realise its in the way but I watched my buddy shatter his iphone doing the same thing. He now owns android devices lol.

slowtype

Reaction score
I don't get the big deal with gorilla glass. I always end up scratching my screens within the first week anyway. They are not very resilient to sediment, sand and grit. All it takes is a phone call while working in my yard or fixing my car.

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
My Gorilla glass shattered pretty easily. I think its a bit over-hyped how strong Gorilla glass actually is. My friend dropped his on carpet and it cracked. Mine shattered on concrete.

Yea when I had my d1, I simply tapped the glass with my nail and CRACK! There goes my screen

Sent from my Droid 3 directly to YOU!

triplejnj

Reaction score
My D1 has been knocked off the kitchen counter and dropped in the parking lot countless times. After almost 2 years there are a few dings on the casing but not a scratch on the screen. I believe in the Gorilla Glass product.

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
My D1 has been knocked off the kitchen counter and dropped in the parking lot countless times. After almost 2 years there are a few dings on the casing but not a scratch on the screen. I believe in the Gorilla Glass product.

Same here, that's what I don't get though, I dropped my phone several times but when I simply tapped the screen, that's when it cracks...WEIRD!

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
Same here, that's what I don't get though, I dropped my phone several times but when I simply tapped the screen, that's when it cracks...WEIRD!

I have been flicking my screen like crazy now just to see if I can do anything to it! xD I still can't see how in the world it cracked! :p

Swyped and sent through the interwebz to you!