Gorilla Glass defect?

djackson22

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I was sitting on a curb today and my phone made a maybe 1 foot drop to the ground, face down. When I lifted it up the whole entire screen was shattered! The only thing keeping it together is my screen protector.
I didn't have any previous scratches or cracks on my phone. It had a case and screen protector on it. I don't have insurance but do you think that the manufacturer's warranty will cover it?

tygerchylde

Reaction score
Probably not. Gorilla glass is supposed to scratch-proof, not shatter-proof. It seems to be a pretty common complaint on this forum. Unfortunately, Moto probably will not replace it because of a drop and shatter. It's one of the main reasons I have the insurance on my phone.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Welcome to the droid forums.. as he^^ said... that's not a defect.. so it won't be covered under warranty... unfortunately.

Last edited:

jaybogg

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I was sitting on a curb today and my phone made a maybe 1 foot drop to the ground, face down. When I lifted it up the whole entire screen was shattered! The only thing keeping it together is my screen protector.
I didn't have any previous scratches or cracks on my phone. It had a case and screen protector on it. I don't have insurance but do you think that the manufacturer's warranty will cover it?

Sorry to hear of your bad luck. There have been posts of them dropping from ladders without a scratch, flexed in their pockets and cracked the screen, and stories everywhere in between. One guy posted he was in a bar with his I-phone buds and dropped his on the floor to show them how durable it was, and it shattered. The common theme is that no one has reported that moto or verizon would replace it. Guess it is the luck of the draw of how it hits and luck wasn't on your side. Moto will repair it, one guy posted that he sent his in and seems it was the same or cheaper than if he bought the parts off e-bay and did it himself. Something in the $130 range comes to mind but don't hold me to it. Insurance for me is 100 ded, only difference is your out a phone while repair is accomplished.

1coopgt

Reaction score
Why wouldn't you have insurance on a $600.00 + phone . :icon_eek: