Gorgeous 4K Video Shot From a Samsung Galaxy Note 4

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
To stream 4k video you need close to 1gbit connection as 1 minute of video takes up 1gbyte of space uncompressed. Who has that kind of speed in USA? Only select few.

I watched it on YouTube on my 60Mb connected just fine. was even able to buffer past where I was watching. That however is compressed. But on the internet, where would you find uncompressed video? Honestly, even on your computer why would you have uncompressed video?

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I should have worded it differently. Not uncompressed but not scaled down. Raw 4k footage takes up absurdly large amount of space.

Gremlin

Reaction score
So if you want to watch 4k at your house via wireless, you would need to upgrade your router that supports 4K streaming and that costs around $300 and if you are doing via hard wire you need to upgrade to Cat 7 cables..

And it looks you tube took the option of 4k from their choices ,, wonder why,,

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Jeffrey, what kind of Internet connection do you have? And do your 4k videos spend any time buffering?
I have 40Mb fibre optic. Occasionally get buffering but not often. My router is next to my TV and hard wired with CAT 7

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
So if you want to watch 4k at your house via wireless, you would need to upgrade your router that supports 4K streaming and that costs around $300 and if you are doing via hard wire you need to upgrade to Cat 7 cables..

And it looks you tube took the option of 4k from their choices ,, wonder why,,
Not totally accurate.. All you need is a router that supports AC. They are available from $125. up. I have an Apple Airport Extreme AC router. It transmits to my AC enabled notebook @ 864 Mbps which is fast enough for 4K. AC routers are spec'd to 1000 Mbps but I was never able to get that speed.
If your device does not support AC you will still get 300Mbps from an AC router which should give you an acceptable 4K experience.

NOW... If you want to stream to multiple devices simultaneously, then you may want to get the Netgear Nighthawk X4 Router. Runs about $275. This will allow you to stream a 4K flick and others connected to your wifi can select and stream their 4K content as well

Reactions: cr6

badtoy1986

Reaction score
Its very nice, but seriously how ofter are you shooting smartphone video from a tripod? If Im taking a tripod, I will be taking my DSLR

soulpatch

Reaction score
The 4K video on the G4 is large selling point for me. It allows me to skip a second hero4 black for my motorcycle. I will mount the phone tot he front on my race bike and use it for video AS WELL AS the telemetry data that some apps give me. Lap times, braking, gas, lean, ect. If I wreck it is a $100 insurance payment for new phone as opposed to the 500 for the new go pro....

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
As long as you have 128gb SD you'll be set. I ran out of space in under 3 minutes on my 16gig S5 shooting a 4K video of an apartment fire a couple months ago. The option is great to have on our phones, but it's worthless if you don't have the necessary storage space. (At least until it can be transferred)

tap'n on my S5

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
... but it's worthless if you don't have the necessary storage space. (At least until it can be transferred)

Even if XLTE speeds were fast enough (doubtful), would you even be able to record/save to the cloud? This is another MAJOR drawback of no SD cards (although I don't have much need for 4k video).

Basically, IF you have 32gigs internal storage and IF you have 16gigs free, then MAYBE you can record 5 minutes of 4k video at a time (and upload to cloud, then delete from SD, and repeat).

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
My next question would be how close to what size screen do you have to be to notice the difference.

This is like driving a Ferrari on residential street.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm saying it will be another 4-5 years before we will have infrastructure in place to take advantage of this technology. Who is going to keep this phone so long? I'm my opinion there more important fields that need attention, like battery life and signal strength. As of now, it's a gimmick.

Just did a little math. 4k video takes 1gb of space for 1 minute of video, meaning each second is roughly 17mb. To stream it without buffering you need at least 130mbit connection as my 60mbit line can transmit 8mbytes/second. I can't even get 100mbit service in my area if I wanted to.

Last edited: