GoogleTV Relaunch; Now Includes Android Market, Cleaner UI & More!

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
J the Revue was only a hundred bucks, the Sony TV was what was expensive, but well worth it 40" LED around eight hundred

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Just checked out the Revue. Be a good way to go. Got a 46in Vizio and don't really want to drop big bucks on a new one. Trying to talk the wife into this.

Sent from my HP Touchpad using Tapatalk

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I bought the Sony, a few weeks later my wife suggested the Revue, we cut the cable that Monday, netflix and redbox save us about $60 a month over cable, and honeycomb should be nice :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

npro1464

Reaction score
I'm torn between the Sony Google Tv set and the PS3. One thing that makes me lean towards GTV is HBO Go. The PS3 doesn't have it, while Google TV does (I think). Do you have to subscribe to HBO in order to get it? Can you use someone else's account? :icon_ devil:

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
I'm very interested in GoogleTV. I haven't looked in a while at GTV devices, but I'd like to get one. Knowing it has been updated with the stuff listed above, it may help me a little more come Christmas time. I have MANY .mkv video files that I'd like to be able to connect to a GTV device and play without my computer being on. If it is unable to do that, I will most likely end up getting one of the Western Digital Live devices.
Well I cant speak for a GTV obviously, but I have used the WDs since Gen1. As much as I want cable, I refuse to pay money to a company who takes over 3 weeks to replace my cable box when all they had to do was ship me a new smart card. I wont rant about my cable but for years I have relied strictly on "other" sources for my TV viewing and the WD has served me better then I can ever imagine. I played back an untouched, I believe, 1080p BD25 Rip(25GB Blu Ray Rip) through my WD and it never so much as hick uped. Just plug in a USB HDD, connect it to your Internet(I personally used a client Bridge Setup placing a router in my entertainment center) using a USB Dongle, and you can FTP your media to the HDD has sort of a makeshift NAS. In my case the HDD is about a 5 year old WD MyBook and it does great. On a Wireless N Network, I hit transfer speed of about 7-8 Megabytes a second average. Now considering most android users here generally are willing to root there device for the extra freedom, the WD Live offers similar capability. While WD open sources soem of the firmware, it enabled projects like WDLXTV to be created(although it could be done with a closed source project possibly, just not as easy). The WDLX Firmware opens up worlds of extra options. They maintain the firmware for several different base firmwares that WD has offered. While WD no longer supports or offers these older firmware bases, the WDLXTV crew maintain these firmwares anyways because they were able to offer certain features the newer firmwares were incapable of doing. In my case I had a firmware update maybe a month ago, but it was based on one of WDs legacy firmwares. The reason I stick with it is because it allows plug ins like Volume Control which lets me adjust the volume from the WD remote. I set the TV to a reasonable volume of usually about 30-40 and then volume control and playback control is in one remote. The downside is, this firmware base was not capable of playing MKVs with header compression.

Anyways, sorry to go on and on about the WD Live, but it is a great item for your media center. However, I am going to be eying the Google TV and see where this goes. It's going to be a bit tough to leave old faithful, but Google might just have the device to do it.

Until GoogleTV becomes a realistic CableTV replacement, there is really no point in using it.
That depends on what methods you are willing to use to obtain your content. ;)