1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

GoogleTV Relaunch; Now Includes Android Market, Cleaner UI & More!

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Oct 28, 2011.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

We thought we should share this particular news for any of our users that are GoogleTV fans. Be sure to check out and discuss all your GoogleTV news and info at our sister-site, @ GoogleTVForum.org!

Google just launched their newest update of GoogleTV, and it is such a massive improvement, it could easily be called a relaunch of the product. Practically everything has been improved from the ground up. Here's a quote from GoogleTV's blog with some launch time-frames for different devices,
    Let's dive into the new features. Here's a complete breakdown of the most notable changes taken directly from the GoogleTV Blog:

Let's elaborate a little deeper on these features. First, the biggest and arguably best change is access to the Android Market. According to Google TV VP of Product Mario Queiroz, there will be around 40 or more featured apps that are optimized for Google TV, including QVC for Google TV, Wall Street Journal Live, Pandora, Clicker, Twitter & more. Furthermore, the number of compatible apps will be approximately 1600 to 1800 at first. It's important to note that this number will include many mobile apps that may just have been altered slightly to also run on the TV screen. Additionally, users can now install non-market apps which should appeal to the hackers and developers, and help to build a developer community that can improve the device over time.

Additional, the UI has been streamlined and the programming guide has been greatly enhanced, yet simplified. Their intention was to "get out of the viewer's way" as much as possible. In fact, the programming guide offers access to live TV listings along with online sources for video content, and there is even an (opt-in only) option to receive personalized recommendations based on your own past ratings and viewing patterns. Furthermore, searching for your favorite content is now easier than ever. Also, YouTube is no longer just an afterthought, but is more heavily integrated into the design to improve its usability and picture quality. You can now start YouTube videos in full screen mode immediately.

In a way, even though this is a pretty massive change, this new update is what GoogleTV aspired to be from the beginning, but failed to fully materialize. Overall, the changes are welcome and truly enhance the user experience for the fledgling product. We have included a couple of video demos for you to watch while you anxiously await your turn in the update Que this weekend.

Source: GoogleTVForum.org via GoogleTV.blogspot and Gigaom
    2 people like this.
  2. johnomaz

johnomaz Well-Known Member

I'm very interested in GoogleTV. I haven't looked in a while at GTV devices, but I'd like to get one. Knowing it has been updated with the stuff listed above, it may help me a little more come Christmas time. I have MANY .mkv video files that I'd like to be able to connect to a GTV device and play without my computer being on. If it is unable to do that, I will most likely end up getting one of the Western Digital Live devices.
  3. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

I bought a Sony and a Revue earlier in the year and have been patiently awaiting HC for each, I am actually glad Sony is set to get it first - that's my bigger tv :nerd:
  4. jkhonea

jkhonea Super Moderator

Now this is looking like a change that will finally get me to pull the trigger.
  5. GrillMouster

GrillMouster New Member

I hope MoboPlayer is available for this!
  6. steveninspokane

steveninspokane New Member

Until GoogleTV becomes a realistic CableTV replacement, there is really no point in using it.
  7. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

I'd have to disagree, bought two and cut the cable completely - best move ever

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
  8. steveninspokane

I got rid of cable over a year ago, It saved me a hundred+ a month. I am just saying that GoogleTV doesn't offer much more than my Xbox and Samsung TV already give me. I think apps would be kind of cool but I'd rather my TV be used for watching content, I have my Bionic for apps. :)
  9. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

Yeah the price of cable is ridiculous, it becomes very evident once it's gone

10. jstafford1

jstafford1 Super Moderator

You've got me seriously considering doing this. Just gotta pull the trigger on a new TV.

Sent from my HP Touchpad using Tapatalk
  11. steveninspokane

Yeah, well I was saving money, until I up'd my internet speed to 105Mbs; all for the love of online gaming. :)
  12. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

J the Revue was only a hundred bucks, the Sony TV was what was expensive, but well worth it 40" LED around eight hundred

13. wicked

wicked Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

14. bigfake23

bigfake23 New Member

I'm not too familiar with Google TV, but if Google followed the same model as Android making it free, open source, and allowing companies to make UI changes, then this could be a huge success if built into TVs.
  15. jstafford1

16. jstafford1

Just checked out the Revue. Be a good way to go. Got a 46in Vizio and don't really want to drop big bucks on a new one. Trying to talk the wife into this.

Sent from my HP Touchpad using Tapatalk
  17. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

I bought the Sony, a few weeks later my wife suggested the Revue, we cut the cable that Monday, netflix and redbox save us about $60 a month over cable, and honeycomb should be nice :)

18. npro1464

npro1464 Member

I'm torn between the Sony Google Tv set and the PS3. One thing that makes me lean towards GTV is HBO Go. The PS3 doesn't have it, while Google TV does (I think). Do you have to subscribe to HBO in order to get it? Can you use someone else's account? :icon_ devil:
  19. Xplorer4x4

Xplorer4x4 New Member

Well I cant speak for a GTV obviously, but I have used the WDs since Gen1. As much as I want cable, I refuse to pay money to a company who takes over 3 weeks to replace my cable box when all they had to do was ship me a new smart card. I wont rant about my cable but for years I have relied strictly on "other" sources for my TV viewing and the WD has served me better then I can ever imagine. I played back an untouched, I believe, 1080p BD25 Rip(25GB Blu Ray Rip) through my WD and it never so much as hick uped. Just plug in a USB HDD, connect it to your Internet(I personally used a client Bridge Setup placing a router in my entertainment center) using a USB Dongle, and you can FTP your media to the HDD has sort of a makeshift NAS. In my case the HDD is about a 5 year old WD MyBook and it does great. On a Wireless N Network, I hit transfer speed of about 7-8 Megabytes a second average. Now considering most android users here generally are willing to root there device for the extra freedom, the WD Live offers similar capability. While WD open sources soem of the firmware, it enabled projects like WDLXTV to be created(although it could be done with a closed source project possibly, just not as easy). The WDLX Firmware opens up worlds of extra options. They maintain the firmware for several different base firmwares that WD has offered. While WD no longer supports or offers these older firmware bases, the WDLXTV crew maintain these firmwares anyways because they were able to offer certain features the newer firmwares were incapable of doing. In my case I had a firmware update maybe a month ago, but it was based on one of WDs legacy firmwares. The reason I stick with it is because it allows plug ins like Volume Control which lets me adjust the volume from the WD remote. I set the TV to a reasonable volume of usually about 30-40 and then volume control and playback control is in one remote. The downside is, this firmware base was not capable of playing MKVs with header compression.

Anyways, sorry to go on and on about the WD Live, but it is a great item for your media center. However, I am going to be eying the Google TV and see where this goes. It's going to be a bit tough to leave old faithful, but Google might just have the device to do it.

That depends on what methods you are willing to use to obtain your content. ;)