Google's Project Ara Gets Developer Conference in April & Price Target of $50

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Project-Ara-moto-now-google.jpg

One of Motorola's more intriguing prototype concepts was the Project Ara modular phone. As it turns out, that was one of the things which Google kept for themselves after selling Moto to Lenovo. Apparently, not only is Project Ara farther along than anticipated, it might actually be put into production for a launch next year. Google has announced a couple of intriguing details regarding the "out of the box" lego-style phone concept.

First, the retail price target that Google is shooting for when they finally launch the device is $50 for the entry level version. That will be for the main display, frame and a WiFi radio to get started. Afterwards you can hit a kiosk to buy an additional add-on pieces you might desire. Google will obviously provide the software which users will be able to customize (most likely based on Android). Google knows that it will be tough to hit that extremely affordable target and still make a competitive device, but at least they are planning ahead.

The second thing that we know about it is that Google has announced a developer's conference set for the device for April 15-16th. This means they aren't messing around and plan to try and bring it to market as soon as possible. It will be interesting to see just how well Project Ara develops. We will keep a close watch on this and share any new details.

Source: Google+

Amagine

Reaction score
It is the Phoneblok, project. Phoneblok started after ArA didn't look like it was going to get started. This will be great if I can upgrade my CPU once every couple years. RAM every so often and the Screen anytime i break it. It will also be awesome if all I have to do to change carriers is switch out a radio pack.

Over all it may cost more, but I'm paying for the changes I want.. not a whole sale new phone.

combatmedic870

Reaction score
Good god man. I would not be able to imaging this, if it were to really happen. I mean.....Maybe having a choice between tegra and snapdragon, choosing the ram and maybe what speed(bring on 3GB DDR5LP!!)

For me....5inch(G2 like bezels and on screen buttons), 64GB high speed nand, tegra 5/snapdragon 810/15/20, 3-4GB DDR3-DDR5LP, 3300MAH, 28mm F2 lens with 1/1.7 12mp sony sensor, USB 3.0. 8.9mm thick.

yes

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'd imagine a phone with the IR Blaster module and 18 MP camera upgrade for an additional $100. Now the question is, do I or don't I need the 2K screen upgrade? I think I'd prefer the Battery pack upgrade, for a total of 3200 mA and just settle for the 1080p LCD-2 screen with 345 DPI. Decisions decisions.

Briankbl

Reaction score
I'd imagine a phone with the IR Blaster module and 18 MP camera upgrade for an additional $100. Now the question is, do I or don't I need the 2K screen upgrade? I think I'd prefer the Battery pack upgrade, for a total of 3200 mA and just settle for the 1080p LCD-2 screen with 345 DPI. Decisions decisions.

Your idea of the pricing is way too conservative lol. I'm thinking just for high end camera modules, possibly looking at around $200.