Google's Pixel Won't Be WaterProof

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

The HTC 10 featured a less than waterproof IP53 rating which only protects against minor misting. If you drop the HTC 10 in a puddle or if you accidentally wash it in your washing machine your device will be dead. The HTC made Pixel devices are said to include a premium price tag. With these devices being so expensive you would think that they would include ip68 water resistance.

It looks like the Pixel devices will include the same IP53 rating that we saw on the HTC 10. This means the phone will only be able to sustain a spray of water at any angle up to 60 degrees with no harmful effect. The Note 7 and iPhone 7 on the other hand can withstand up to a meter of water for 30 minutes. The phone will also include a Snapdragon 821 and a pretty decent camera.

via 9to5google

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Another potential device that I'll pass on. Google keeps missing the mark. Htc needs to disappear.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
I'm shocked so many people think waterproofing is necessary.. I'm totally cool without it.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I don't swim with my phone's so waterproofing is not needed.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

RyanPm40

Reaction score
It just seems more like a cool bonus to me than something needed :shrug:. As long as it's a well-built phone with great performance and design, that's really all I care about.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
People say same thing about wireless charging, removable batteries, and SD cards. Reason why manufacturers skip some features. Demand everything and they will listen.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
It just seems more like a cool bonus to me than something needed :shrug:. As long as it's a well-built phone with great performance and design, that's really all I care about.
But therein lies the problem good sir.... Nexus has always played it safe with their devices by only giving you the bare minimum and never offering anything unique. This is why their devices have never been a big seller to the general population. There is no wow factor. Not that the IP68 feature is anything special, but c'mon Nexus, make something that is a bit more appealing than your past devices.

S5 tap'n

RyanPm40

Reaction score
But therein lies the problem good sir.... Nexus has always played it safe with their devices by only giving you the bare minimum and never offering anything unique. This is why their devices have never been a big seller to the general population. There is no wow factor. Not that the IP68 feature is anything special, but c'mon Nexus, make something that is a bit more appealing than your past devices.

S5 tap'n

How did the Nexus 6p play it safe and offer the bare minimum? I highly believe that if people could have purchased that phone on their cell phone plans, it would have been quite successful. Few people can just throw down hundreds of dollars on a device at one given time.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I think that the extremely minimal cost to add grommets on the covers, screen, microphone, earphone, earpiece speaker, speakerphone speaker and SD/SIM Card slot makes it a no brainer now. Why not IP68? Given how many phones we've had to help people try to save here on our forum, and how many more we were unable to save due to submersion in any number of water sources (including my son's phone and...the toilet), it makes no sense that they should be vulnerable to such a common risk. Even a time in the rain could make an IP53 phone into a very expensive paperweight.