Google's Nexus Player Now Available in Retail: Best Buy, Newegg & Amazon

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
@Jeffrey would you say that the Roku 3 is the best streaming device out right now?
Roku 3 does a nice job, but I don't think it's worth the $89. I paid for it. The Chromecast is a much better buy.
What I'm waiting for is the Matchstick to arrive. I think it's going to be the one to have. You can cast [they call it Fling] anything on your screen and it's wide open. I read recently that you don't have to be on the same wireless network either.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
@Jeffrey would you say that the Roku 3 is the best streaming device out right now?

Roku 3 does a nice job, but I don't think it's worth the $89. I paid for it. The Chromecast is a much better buy.
What I'm waiting for is the Matchstick to arrive. I think it's going to be the one to have. You can cast [they call it Fling] anything on your screen and it's wide open. I read recently that you don't have to be on the same wireless network either.

Of the three I own (Roku 3, Nexus Player, and Chromecast) I have to say the Roku is the best overall having the most channels and content. The Chromecast is the simplest, cleanest, and easiest to use. I am still learning the Nexus Player which seems to have the most potential. Both the chromecast and roku can not go beyond where it is at now. But the nexus can go far depending on development. Unfortunately there is not a large development community around the nexus player as of now.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Been almost 2 months since I bought my Nexus Player and after using it a bit I have a different feel about it vs my Roku 3. I love the nexus player's lean back launcher and how smooth the navigation works. Outside of that I find myself unplugging it and going back to the Roku 3 as it does much better with Sling Tv (granted I am sideloading Sling) and USTVNOW . I feel like the choice options for the Roku 3 is so much better in fact even rooted with Kodi the average user will prefer the Roku 3. The Nexus Player is cool to play with but for functionality falls short of the Roku 3. I will say the Nexus Players does a much better job with navigation whether it be through the launcher or navigating through the App. You just have to deal with the occasional lag with the Roku 3, which annoys me so much I unplug it and go to my Nexus Player out of anger. At $199 I beginning to really think if the Nvidia Shield will really be the better option given there is just so few apps that support the Nexus Player (Google TV). Google is going through the same growing pains that they went through when they first launch their tablet line (Honeycomb) back in the day. If I had to choose one device I would go Roku 3 because it just supports more programing at the time of this post.