Google's Nexus 6 Might be the Only Device on Their Carrier Service at First

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nexus6-moto-google-mvno.jpg

According to the latest intel from the Wall Street Journal, Google's initial rollout of their MVNO wireless carrier service might come with a drawback for a great deal of users. Supposedly, the first and ONLY device (at least initially) that will work on Google's carrier service will be the Nexus 6. Here's a quote from the WSJ with the details,

The service, designed to switch among Wi-Fi and cellular networks, will initially be available only on the latest Nexus 6 smartphone designed by Google and made by Motorola Mobility, a former Google unit now owned by China’s Lenovo Group Ltd., two people familiar with the matter said. One of the people said the service won’t work with older Nexus devices, such as LG Electronics Inc. ’s Nexus 5.

Hmmm... this seems like a pretty big limitation to start a carrier service. Of course, if you are already an owner of a Nexus 6, or you are a fan of the larger "phablet-style" smartphones, then this may not be a concern for you. It sounds like the technology will need to evolve to make future smartphones compatible with the service. What do you guys think?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Great for me, not great for my wife who has a Moto X. Looks like I won't be an early adopter.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
It makes sense if they're going to jump in soon. I wish this was an option for me, but I doubt it'll be available near me any time soon.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
They're going to have a small clientele base then.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
They've said that it's going to be a service that combines cellular and WiFi use. It's probably going to work similar to Republic Wireless, which requires specific software baked into their phones to make them work with the hybrid network style. You have to use their phones in order to have their service because of that. And it just so happens that all of Republic Wireless' phones are Motorola devices, so Motorola has experience with the software for this type of service. Given that, it makes sense that the Nexus 6 would be the only phone that will work with their service from the start.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I would probably check it out just to test it for a month, as I am not on contract with at&t, but in the end I can not see myself leaving at&t for any other carrier other than Verizon.