Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
google-messenger.jpg

Google has a new standalone messenger app and it's now available in the Play Store!

Unlike Hangouts this app only does SMS. People have complained about using Hangouts for SMS but there wasn’t any official alternatives from Google until today. This app is a nice simple messaging app that has a clean material design and smooth animations.

Here is the full feature list.
  • Faster sharing: Select or take pictures and videos directly from the app and share easily. You can even send audio messages to your contacts.
  • Easy search: Search through contacts and conversation threads to find exactly what you are looking for.
  • Purposeful design: New, fluid, material design that is intuitive and delightful.
  • More control: Ability to block SMS senders. No interruptions when you don’t want them!
  • More features: audio messages, emoji support

Messenger is supported on devices running Android™ 4.1, Jelly Bean, and above.

Grab it here - Messenger on Google Play

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is cool! I have been looking for a stand alone messenger app. I can't stand Hangouts, and I didn't really like the third party stuff out there either.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
I wish they would include a pop-up for the messenger. That is the only thing I don't like about the stock sms app. Still have to use a third party pop-up app. I'm currently using Textra for sms/mms.

Tap'd from my Droid Turbo

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I like Hangouts alright, but I don't really send many Hangouts messages. Most of my conversations in there are SMS/MMS. With that said, since I do occasionally get standard Hangouts messages through the app, I think I'll just stick with it.

Maybe I'll give it a try, but sometimes I feel like it might just be worth it to go back to the stock messenger app.

I just need to be able to send texts and occasional pics. Aside from hangouts, I could never really get into third-party texting apps. I tried the big ones, but it just seemed like a waste to me...

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
I could never get into hangouts. I used to use Talk quite a bit but seems everyone quit using it.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I could never get into hangouts. I used to use Talk quite a bit but seems everyone quit using it.

Yeah, what happened there? We had a df mods/rs hangout going on when hangouts first came around, but people seem to have just stopped using it. I have one online contact on G+ that still sends me hangouts messages from time to time and that's how I contact him if I need to get in touch quick, but that's really about it. Haha

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have been using Textra also and it seems fine, but I like that this is a Google product and fits the new design

kinfolk248

Reaction score
Sooooooo....messenger is now the native messaging app for 5.0?

also i use hangouts but i have it running my GV number cus GV was just so damn slow and shaky for me...

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
I like the look of the new Google messenger. But I only use Hangout. I'm in a Hangout that Tha Phlash started & it seems there's no way to join that or any other Hangout from the new Google messenger app

Tapped from a Moto X

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
I am liking this so far......I've been a hangouts user since they integrated sms. This has so far been an easy transition

sent from my sexy Note 4

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I like Hangouts alright, but I don't really send many Hangouts messages. Most of my conversations in there are SMS/MMS. With that said, since I do occasionally get standard Hangouts messages through the app, I think I'll just stick with it.

Maybe I'll give it a try, but sometimes I feel like it might just be worth it to go back to the stock messenger app.

I just need to be able to send texts and occasional pics. Aside from hangouts, I could never really get into third-party texting apps. I tried the big ones, but it just seemed like a waste to me...

Part of the big problem for me is that many of them have issues with MMS on Verizon. I've tried several over the years, and none of them handled MMS consistently (with many of them not receiving the messages at all).

Valvoline

Reaction score
G Voice....Hangouts....and now this

Streamline Google...Streamline!!!

yeah i think that this is where its heading. hangouts will be a hangout app only. will probably be used less and less for sms/mms.
the design is getting streamlined with gmail/inbox, maps, calendar. i like it.

giving this a shot. it doesn need a pop-up though. i used to use handcent, and then on my LG G3 the native app which has some real nice features, but i like the google look better

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Installing now. No, I didn't like Hangouts being my SMS client so this should be a good step forward.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I just don't know what to think. I liked that hangouts has Google voice integration now, so I see voicemails from people inline with texts & the occasional hangouts message.

If I install messenger, I break away most of the reasons I use hangouts, but not one of the important ones if messenger has no gv integration...

Decisions, decisions...

Sent from my Note 4