Google's New Nexus Phones Won't Be "Nexus" Phones

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Earlier today a report coming out of Android Central proclaimed "The Nexus brand is going away". We have seen plenty of leaks regarding the two new HTC "Nexus" phones, the Marlin and Sailfish. We know what they will look like, and have a good idea of the specs that will be on board. We have even seen some software stuff leak out. The only leak we have not seen thus far is a leak of the official name. Could this be because Google is changing up the branding of their developer friendly power user devices?

Android Central is citing sources "familiar with Google's plans". According to their sources the new branding will put the Google name front and center ditching the "Nexus" moniker we have known and loved for years altogether. The devices whatever they will be called are said to feature a new software experience exclusive to these new Google devices.

It should be noted that Google CEO Sundar Pichai referred to the new Nexus phones just three months ago in a Recode interview. The rom that was pulled from the Sailfish phone a few weeks ago has plenty of references to the Nexus branding, and the FCC filing for the new HTC phones linked to a user guide at support.google.com/nexus.

What do you think will we see the end of the Nexus branding in favor of a Google centric branding?

via Android Central

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
If they do then people will really get confused. Like everyone calling my cell phone a droid because it runs Android. It's not a DROID!!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
If they do then people will really get confused. Like everyone calling my cell phone a droid because it runs Android. It's not a DROID!!
Idk. When the "average" person asks me what phone I have, they look at me like I'm nuts when I tell them it's the Nexus 6P, or the Huawei Nexus 6P.

They still really don't have the brand recognition outside of people like us who actually care and friends of people like us.

I'm also a bit confused by the fact that these articles say that they're almost kind of putting a skin on vanilla android for these phones. Haven't we purists been fighting against the likes of TouchWiz and etc all this time? Isn't that why many of us purchase a Nexus device? For the vanilla, stock experience.

Will there be a vanilla android experience anymore if all of this is true? Seems kinda crazy if the answer there is no.

This is a very weird situation. I can kinda see why they're doing it from a marketing standpoint, but there's still a LOT that remains to be seen and questions that remain to be answered.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
That's gorgeous. That might get me to go Nexus. Or Google. Or whatever they call it.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I've said it before, in my opinion, this year will see new Nexus phones (by HTC or whomever). Then in 2017 Google will release their very own phone, made by them...no more contracting out to other manufacturers. Those will be the new "Google" phones, or whatever they call them. They hired Tim Osterloh away from Moto to lead their new "Hardware Department" for a reason, they are planning on manufacturing something all by them self; but we might not see it this year. Especially if the 2016 Nexus phones were already in the making before they hired Tim. That's just my guess though, I could be very wrong. I have been wrong before, ask my wife. :D

Beardface

Reaction score
Marlin, or at least what the leaked photos show.
Seriously? All the leaked photos I've seen have shown a device with a fairly large bezel on the front of the phone, and that render shows a screen that literally goes beyond the edge all the way around.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
The photo above represents "the dream phone". It has no bezel. It has no speaker ports because sound resonates throughout the shell. Wired headphone ports are a thing of the past. It has no power port either, because it get's electricity wirelessly. It can alter time and space using the bloatware app, Time and Space, that comes preinstalled. Google will also pay YOU to use the device, instead of the other way around.

btw, you can get the Time and Space apk if you search hard for it on the Interwebs.