Google's New Designer Frames Try to Make Google Glass Cooler

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
navigator_orchid_mist_flash_3x4_blue-1.jpg

Google Glass is one of those polarizing products. Some folks like it, while some hate it. We are a bit skeptical it will gain much market traction right now, although some version of the concept will probably eventually go mainstream. Of course, Google is trying their best to help propel Google Glass toward that eventuality, and their latest attempt adds some new designer frames to entice the public.

While the aesthetic of these designer frames is a big improvement, these designs also carry an even more premium price tag. Getting a new set of Google Glass with these frames is even more expensive than the OG $1,500 price of Google Glass. Here's a quote with a few more details,

Thanks to a partnership with Diane Von Furstenberg, Google Glass will soon be available in stylish frames and lenses. There are five new frames and eight new shades available. The collection will be available through Net-A-Porter and the Google Glass store starting on June 23.

This is the first designer mashup with Google Glass. Through a partnership with Italian optical wear giant, Luxottica, Ray-Ban and Oakley-branded frames are also on tap. Google Glass Aviators, anyone?

The Google Glass hardware used in these frames is unchanged. It’s the same hardware, albeit color-matched with the designer frames, currently available for $1,500. The Diane Von Furstenberg label doesn’t come cheap. The DVF-branded shades will cost $1,620.

What do you guys think? Is the Google Glass concept too far ahead of its time? Is this an idea that would make more sense a few years down the road, or is it something we should push forward now?

Be sure to check the thread below for more designer frame pics.

Source: TechCrunch

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here are several DVF designer frames for Google Glass:

navigator_orchid_mist_flash_3x4_blue-1.jpg

aviator_graphiteflash_3x4_black.jpg

shiny_elderberry_3x4_gray.jpg

jspradling7

Reaction score
I still enjoy mine. Development is still turtle slow though. I'm not sure if there are some technical hurdles that are causing it or if they just don't have a clear idea about what they want the thing to do. I think I'll like it a lot more if something like those datacubes take hold. Meaning, when you can walk along the street and look at a store front and see information about it displayed in Glass. The biggest problem with Glass right now isn't styling, it is the price. If they really want the thing to catch on they need to drop the price to about 399.00.

Batman8

Reaction score
This product is still WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too damn expensive, and it also STILL looks like crap! As many Android devices that I own including the wearables (I have both Samsung Gear watches) I would still never consider this product at it's current price point. I think it really needs to come down by several hundred bucks for lots of people to consider it.

Even the $300 smart watches are said by many to be too pricey, so $1,500 -$1,600 is just out of the question for this technology IMHO.

biglilome

Reaction score
It is still too much. but not sure how its going to work out with style. :/

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just what we need, more things to distract us from walking, driving, etc... sigh...

When can we just plug in to the Matrix and live completely virtual lives? Let's just get it done and over with already...

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just what we need, more things to distract us from walking, driving, etc... sigh...

When can we just plug in to the Matrix and live completely virtual lives? Let's just get it done and over with already...

What makes you think we haven't already? We could already be in a simulation within a simulation within a simulation... ad infinitum. :blink: