Google's Firewall Too High for the Launch of the Moto X; Why Andy Rubin Stepped Down

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Google-firewall-between-Android-team-and-Motorola.jpg

Back when Google first purchased Motorola back in 2011, they went out of their way to make it clear Motorola would not get any preferential treatment compared to the other Android carriers like Samsung, LG, Sony and others. They even claimed they would put up a virtual (and literal) firewall between the two companies to make things extra fair for their other OEM Android partners. A new Wall Street Journal article is suggesting that Google may have gone too far and built the firewall too high when dealing with Motorola products.

From the report we find out that after the purchase of Motorola by Google, communication between the two companies actually decreased. What was formerly a strong working partnership was now a virtual long-distance relationship. Apparently it became much harder to reach CEO Larry Page by email as Google sought to keep Motorola at arms-length.

Indeed, one of Motorola's former employees made the following comment, "it’s not like we were equally disadvantaged—we were more disadvantaged." Apparently these tensions were especially strong during the development of the Moto X. Additionally, this revelation solves another mystery. Earlier this year Andy Rubin, the head guru, creator and face of Android abruptly stepped down form his position as the head of Android. It came as quite a shock, and the lack of clear intent lead to rampant speculation. Ultimately, there were several plausible theories, but it still remained a mystery.

According to internal sources, this was directly related to the rift between Google and Motorola, but was intended to help fix the problem. Supposedly, Andy Rubin was a bit overzealous in wanting to keep Android very open, and this lead to much of the internal communication problems and tension between the two companies. In fact, during the development of the Moto X, things became so convoluted that there was doubt the mobile Chrome browser would even show up on the device!

Luckily, things eventually got smoothed out, but the damage was already done. The result was that the Moto X launch wasn't as much of a ball-park home-run as Motorola would have wanted. Perhaps if Google had been a bit more "hands on" with Motorola, the Moto X could have been a monster block-buster, instead of just a solid hit.

Incidentally, despite all of these issues, it turns out this was indirectly the reason the Moto X came with Android 4.2.2 instead of Android 4.3. According to the report, it was mostly a matter of bad timing, because Android 4.3 was released late in the development cycle. Reading between the lines reveals that Motorola must not have had early access to Android 4.3, holding them back just enough for Google to stick to their "firewall" promise. What do you guys think? Should Google have eased up a bit? Should they ease up a great deal more now?

Source: MotoXForums via WSJ

Last edited:

TheOldFart

Reaction score
Since I like Moto products, I would like to see Google give Moto an advantage in the industry. However, I think this would hurt Android in the long term. In order to keep everything fair and all Android phone/tablet makers happy, I think that Google needs to treat Moto EXACTLY the same as the other manufacturers. It seems that Google pushed the relationship past equality with the Moto X, which they also need to be careful of.

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
They should come down to a reasonable level.

-Motorola focused on its own viability.

-Google focused on its own growth.

-Both communicating like two companies within the same company should.

This means no other manufacturer can cry foul and no shenanigans like those in the news story happen.

Reaction score
All android phone manufacturers are completely stupid for just not releasing basic no frills Android and a completely unlocked phone. I don't understand why Motorola cannot look at the Droid 1 and figure out why that was such a massive hit.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
"Perhaps if Google had been a bit more "hands on" with Motorola, the Moto X could have been a monster block-buster, instead of just a solid hit."

It's a solid hit? Already? A day after the announcement (not even available for pre-order)????
Come on DForums. I know this is a Android/Verizon site, but do we have to be THAT fanboyish?

KaChow

Reaction score
The part that I dislike the most is the Preferential treatment of the competition over Motorola. The Moto X should have launched as the Nexus X, whether that means it kicks off with 5.0 or sticks with 4.3, that's how it should have been done and as a Nexus X it should gone to every carrier, not just one. I don't understand why HTC, Samsung, Sony, and LG are being treated better than a Google OWNED company. There is always going to be competition, that comes with a better chip, or RAM, or whatever, EVEN the playing field, give everybody a chance to compete for the Consumer dollars. In many ways the worst thing that happened to Motorola is that they were purchased by Google, it's rather disappointing that their is a Firewall preventing the two companies from working together to produce the best devices we would ever see.

Last edited:

TheOldFart

Reaction score
All android phone manufacturers are completely stupid for just not releasing basic no frills Android and a completely unlocked phone. I don't understand why Motorola cannot look at the Droid 1 and figure out why that was such a massive hit.

It was such a massive hit because there was just the Droid and the Eris with Android. That made it an easy choice. If there had been 10 other phones with similar specs to the Droid then perhaps it wouldn't have been such a hit. It would have likely done well, but when you're the only reasonable choice, it's easy to be the winner.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The part that I dislike the most is the Preferential treatment of the competition over Motorola. The Moto X should have launched as the Nexus X, whether that means it kicks off with 5.0 or sticks with 4.3, that's how it should have been done and as a Nexus X it should gone to every carrier, not just one. I don't understand why HTC, Samsung, Sony, and LG are being treated better than a Google OWNED company. There is always going to be competition, that comes with a better chip, or RAM, or whatever, EVEN the playing field, give everybody a chance to compete for the Consumer dollars. In many ways the worst thing that happened to Motorola is that they were purchased by Google, it's rather disappointing that their is a Firewall preventing the two companies from working together to produce the best devices we would ever see.

At first when Moto was purchased by Google I was excited about what could come of the company. Now it is like google bailed them out of their years of stupidity. I said this in another thread, but desperation either make you rise up or fall. During motorolas desperation about 4 years ago led to the og Droid. HTC being desperate put out the HTC one (arguably the best android device this year). Motorola seemed to lose that desperation being bought out. You can not continue to put out the phones they put out and expect to compete with Samsung, Apple, and (at times) HTC. If the Motorola X was priced as a mid level device (ie like the nexus) it would have been a great buy. But who is going to want to pay high end prices for 720 p dual core when HTC and Samsung are putting out 1080p quad core for similar pricing. I understand software tweaks can get more out of a device but I am sure Samsung and HTC will continue to improve their software to get the most out of their device as well so me personally I would prefer quad core over dual core. Point is I agree that this should have been priced and made a nexus like device (even if the kept the name Motorola X).

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
It was such a massive hit because there was just the Droid and the Eris with Android. That made it an easy choice. If there had been 10 other phones with similar specs to the Droid then perhaps it wouldn't have been such a hit. It would have likely done well, but when you're the only reasonable choice, it's easy to be the winner.
Wouldn't say that's the only reason, Moto and Verizon marketed the Droid almost perfectly. The commercials really made it seem like the coolest and THE phone to own. Plus they ragged on all the features the iPhone didn't have, which is always a win :p

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
The result was that the Moto X launch wasn't as much of a ball-park home-run as Motorola would have wanted. Perhaps if Google had been a bit more "hands on" with Motorola, the Moto X could have been a monster block-buster, instead of just a solid hit.
more like a solid failure, just read the reviews and responses after it was announced to sell for $600+ without contract. yesterday's tech with today's pricing.

jtpowell

Reaction score
As soon as Google ditched WebTop I was done with Motorola. That should have told everyone good for Google bad for Moto.