Google's Co-Founder Sergey Brin Spotted in Public Wearing Project Glass Prototype

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
2012sergeyglasses.jpg

Here's something you may not see everyday: one of the co-founders of one of the largest and most influential corporations on the planet out and about using a prototype of one of his companies "pet projects." Apparently, Sergey Brin, co-founder of Google is one of the "beta-testers" of their coolest new project, "Project Glass", aka Google Goggles. Here's a quote from the Engadget article with some of the details:

It would appear company co-founder Sergey Brin already knows, as he was spotted by tech pundits Robert Scoble and Thomas Hawk rocking a prototype at a Dining in the Dark charity event for the Foundation Fighting Blindness. Scoble has already posted a couple of pictures with Brin on Google+, mentioning more photos would be forthcoming from Hawk after the event concluded and that he'd heard other people, including Google exec Vic Gundotra, have the devices already. For now he mentions the glasses appeared to be "self contained" and that he could see a blueish light flashing on Brin's eyes.

That's pretty cool! If he can already start testing them in real-world situations, then they may not be too far off from an actual production model after-all. We will keep you apprised of this interesting and evolving tech.

As an aside, it's hard not to wonder if Sergey Brin has run into any street poles... :)

Source: Engadget

Last edited:

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I wish I could just try these on.

I need to update my profile pictures. They're me wearing 3D glasses. I need to keep up this tech glasses trend =/

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Really freakin' cool but if that isn't an unsafe distraction, then I don't know what is.

funwheeldrive

Reaction score
Really freakin' cool but if that isn't an unsafe distraction, then I don't know what is.

I bet it wouldn't be any more distracting than looking down all the time when on the phone. You would just need to get used to it.

techRob

Reaction score
I'd definitely like to try these puppies out! I'd imagine the price tag would be around $200-400 easy at least... Now, how on earth would they connect to all those features without free public wifi everywhere? ...hmmm....another toy for the cell companies i guess :(

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score

The idea is that it doesn't act as a distraction because it's in your field of view and nonobstructive. No longer do you need to look away from the task at hand. Same idea as a HUD in a jet fighter. And those have been successfully used for years, now.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'd definitely like to try these puppies out! I'd imagine the price tag would be around $200-400 easy at least... Now, how on earth would they connect to all those features without free public wifi everywhere? ...hmmm....another toy for the cell companies i guess :(

They would likely be a replacement device for a traditional smartphone, and would access the 3G/4G network just like any other Android phone.

techRob

Reaction score
They would likely be a replacement device for a traditional smartphone, and would access the 3G/4G network just like any other Android phone.

While that makes sense.. I don't think I could part with my pocket computer...errr, smartphone. For that matter, I don't think I would want two phones..hmm...decisions.. :blink: ...i still want one :(

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Maybe its bluetooth and connects to the data coming from your smart phone

Jeyman

Reaction score
Maybe its bluetooth and connects to the data coming from your smart phone

ya odds are we can wifi tether or hotlink it via BT. And then there is the option to pay an extra $30 a month for 2GB of data. Tho maybe the $15 a month plans would work seeing how its such a small screen, it wont take nearly as much data to(dont think will be seeing youtube and netflix on it lol)