Google's agenda to be Android's failure? Or are we just slaves

VitsDroid

Reaction score
If all else fails, run to the woods, build a cottage, and live off the land. No one really needs any of the electronics we have today to live and be happy. Some times being a minimalist is just pure bliss.

I like gadgets, but all I really need is an axe, a gun&bullets and knowledge of survivorship.

n0cturne74

Reaction score
Is this really that far off?
:icon_eek:
irobot-ns5.jpg

Can this thing do the dishes? If so sign me up =)

On Droids

Reaction score
If all else fails, run to the woods, build a cottage, and live off the land. No one really needs any of the electronics we have today to live and be happy. Some times being a minimalist is just pure bliss.

I like gadgets, but all I really need is an axe, a gun&bullets and knowledge of survivorship.

Hey Vits,

This guy couldn't even give up his crackberry..interesting read nonetheless. Basically exactly what you stated.

washingtonpost.com

and before anyone says I went off topic what the **ll is Googles world takeover doing in Droid general discussion. I had a thread more worthy of being Droid 'specific' and it got booted to the "Off-topic" forum. But maybe I am getting singled out with my post. Oh snap, see this thread has done nothing except make me paranoid now :icon_eek:

Last edited:
OP
L

LordKastle

Reaction score
Well I think this thread deserved to be here because the original post focuses on mentalities behind the Android OS, how its integrated into Droid devices, Verizon's decision to say no to the "Google Phone", and allows us to philosophize about the future of the Android world.

Last edited:

xjman349

Reaction score
I honestly expect Google to attempt to purchase Verizon in the next 5 years once their Android platform is across the board on almost all Verizon phones.

That'd give them access to Wireless, Internet and a good chuck of the value of DirecTV. From a profit standpoint it makes sense. Pretty much why they made GoogleVoice in my opinion. To test the market and see if they have a foreseeable future in voice communication. If it panned out they'd make plans to acquire Verizon.

Just my personal opinion.

Well considering they aren't a publicly traded company thats pretty much impossible. However I work for Verizon and I would love to work for Google. lol

JayMonster

Reaction score
Well I think this thread deserved to be here because the original post focuses on mentalities behind the Android OS, how its integrated into Droid devices, Verizon's decision to say no to the "Google Phone", and allows us to philosophize about the future of the Android world.

I agree it is a worthwhile discussion.

(And I apologize for misunderstanding your point earlier)

JayMonster

Reaction score
Google Docs? Still doesn't hold a candle to office in functionality or users

GMail? Same thing behind Yahoo!Mail and others

Android? So far still behind Nokia and (sadly) Apple.

I respectfully disagree with all 3 points.

Agree.

Google's stated goal is to catch up and pass MS Office by 4Q 2010. I see no reason to doubt them.

Android - Nokia uses Symbian, which has not seen much innovation compared to smart phones.

GMail is already FAR superior to Yahoo! and client server based e-mail systems such as Exchange and Lotus Notes.

Look it is not like I don't like Google products but step away from fanboy status for a moment.

GMAIL - does not have as many users as Yahoo Mail (though I admittedly find this baffling as to why) and has far less corporate seats than Exchange. This isn't about what I think is better, this is purely by the numbers.

Docs - If you think Docs is any way ready to compete with office... I want a look at what prescriptions you are taking. For a lot of things, Docs is "good enough" but that is not going to be enough. Heck, even without Office you still have OpenOffice and couple of others that are more feature rich. Except for a few small enhancements Docs has remained stagnant since it's release.

Android is the one big product that Google has hit on lately, but like it or not Nokia is (for now) the number one phone maker in the world.

While many people focus only on the hits, Google has had just as many misses (froogle, Jaiku, Orkut (yes, big in Brazil... not sure that is what they were going for), remember Google Video? Did anybody even notice it closed? Google Answers and so on... Google is a great company, but they are not SkyNet... yet

Ledgehanger

Reaction score
Orderly?!?

Could we get some service here? LordKastle seems to have forgotten his meds... ;)

hydro556

Reaction score
You are 100% correct. But if you expect the current 20 somethings to give a damn, you are in for a rude awakening. It sucks, but they have been conditioned to think only of themselves and the present moment. By design.