Google's agenda to be Android's failure? Or are we just slaves

On Droids

Reaction score
Well, at least they are 'legally' stealing our identities. LOL
It's all Al Gore's fault, remember he invented the internet.:rofl3:

Last edited:

REARless

Reaction score
I honestly expect Google to attempt to purchase Verizon in the next 5 years once their Android platform is across the board on almost all Verizon phones.

That'd give them access to Wireless, Internet and a good chuck of the value of DirecTV. From a profit standpoint it makes sense. Pretty much why they made GoogleVoice in my opinion. To test the market and see if they have a foreseeable future in voice communication. If it panned out they'd make plans to acquire Verizon.

Just my personal opinion.

You do realize how big Verizon is right?

You realize how big Google is right?

Also Verizon Wireless is a separate company from Verizon. Verizon owns 55% of it, (Vodaphone the other 45%). So if Verizon gets itself in too much debt, say from over investment in FiOS infrastructure, and needs some cash, I could see it selling the wireless shares. (The old AT&T had to do this when it got in trouble and when it sold out to Cingular/Bell South.)

On the Google - they are a lot more concerned about your privacy than most other big corporations. "Do No Evil" is their corporate motto.

I know from implementing GMail Enterprise that they have a lot of policies to protect privacy. Example - When moving from Lotus Notes to Gmail we asked about verification that someone has read the e-mail you sent them. (A feature Lotus Notes has always had. ) Google replied we do not have that feature and we never will have it or allow a third party to implement a lab (add on) to do so. Google feels it is too much an invasion of privacy.

Also Android is LINUX based - meaning open source. Anyone can modify it. It is not locked down like Windows, IPhone and RIM. (Symbian is Open Sourced.)

Last edited:

Silver Member
Reaction score
I honestly expect Google to attempt to purchase Verizon in the next 5 years once their Android platform is across the board on almost all Verizon phones.

That'd give them access to Wireless, Internet and a good chuck of the value of DirecTV. From a profit standpoint it makes sense. Pretty much why they made GoogleVoice in my opinion. To test the market and see if they have a foreseeable future in voice communication. If it panned out they'd make plans to acquire Verizon.

Just my personal opinion.
this is seriously the worse observation i've read. why would google be interested in infrastructure? why haven't apple and microsoft bought into infrastructure???

why?

because it's not a money-maker. there's no money to be had in infrastructure business. google would kill their profits owning such a platform. they're better off continuing what they do best, developing.

bacalao

Reaction score
I use bing at work, and google for school searches and casual search. I like variety, and I wouldn't want to one day, wakeup to a world where a company is so big it has its hands everything: communications, my clothes, transportation, etc. I hope another company comes out with a google books idea also.
I love google though, I'd have to side with them if they already took over the world.

Batfan.com

Reaction score
wow. :icon_eek: Paranoid much?

There's decaf available in the lobby, free of charge. Kindly have a seat and calm down.

Honestly though, I'm not a secret agent or anyone of particular importance. If Google wants to track how many times I go to the grocery store or wants to read my txt's asking my wife if we need diapers, let them.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I use bing at work, and google for school searches and casual search. I like variety, and I wouldn't want to one day, wakeup to a world where a company is so big it has its hands everything: communications, my clothes, transportation, etc. I hope another company comes out with a google books idea also.
I love google though, I'd have to side with them if they already took over the world.

We live in that world... Big Oil :icon_eek:

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Hm.....

Loose Change anyone?

Goog is trying to be bigger and bigger because that is what the stock holders want. :)

ice456789

Reaction score
As an IT consultant, I know that information is power. The more information you have the better prepared you are to deliver quality goods and services targeted to your customers.

Google is not doing anything illegal or unethical that I know of. They are gathering more info to better deliver products and ads targeted to you.

Why are people so afraid of corporations that are successful? Why must we stop any company that becomes 'too successful'? It's ridiculous.

Anomander

Reaction score
Does it really matter how big Google gets? The world ends in 2 years and 6 days and I plan on taking my Droid with me! :heart::motdroidvert:

zegwin

Reaction score
Hm.....

Loose Change anyone?

Goog is trying to be bigger and bigger because that is what the stock holders want. :)
I was waiting to see if someone was going to mention alex jones. Ahh... listening to his show is a good way to kill time and get a few laughs. Ill admit he makes a few interesting occasionally points... but boy does he need to stop drinking the conspiracy coolaid.

JayMonster

Reaction score
Google is big... yes... but other than Search they have so far dominated... nothing.

Google Docs? Still doesn't hold a candle to office in functionality or users

GMail? Same thing behind Yahoo!Mail and others

Android? So far still behind Nokia and (sadly) Apple.

Google does two things well... search and advertising. Everything else are just so far ramps that help lead you to their search and advertising.

Google has managed to survive scrutiny by not dabbling in regulators areas too deeply, and when they have they have had issues (just look at the copyright issues on the book scanning). Google Voice allows them to skirt telco laws as they currently stand, they are NOT going to go and try and buy Verizon.

If anything, it would make more sense for them to buy Cablevision or Time-Warner Cable where they now have a pipe to send advertising to THE HOME. Imagine a set top box that you could do searches from, and would be tied in with your Google Search history, and thus, they could TARGET commercials to your TV that are based on what you watch, see, buy, etc.

But balance that out for a second... 10 years ago, Microsoft was the company that was going to take over the world with their evil overlord ways... and while they are still a strong company, they are no where near the monolith they once were, and Google could fall just as fast if people begin to not trust them or they start pulling stupid games like Microsoft did.

Consumers are funny bunch, and can be fierecely loyal... or leave you with your Android in your hands just as quickly.

There are a lot of ways things can play out... but none of them will be fun with the tin foil hat... come out and play... the world is interesting... use it... don't hide from it.

n0cturne74

Reaction score
If anything, it would make more sense for them to buy Cablevision or Time-Warner Cable where they now have a pipe to send advertising to THE HOME. Imagine a set top box that you could do searches from, and would be tied in with your Google Search history, and thus, they could TARGET commercials to your TV that are based on what you watch, see, buy, etc.

I'm not trying to feed the conspiracy theory but technically Verizon's FiOS would allow this also and at a much larger bandwidth capacity vs. aged coax lines. The only thing that TWC has an advantage over is that FiOS is still a limited market. The real question remaining is, is data going to be wired much longer anyways? How long until 4G or 5G runs cable tv, VoIP and internet in every home?