Google Working to Make Google Wallet a True Digital Replacement for The Real Thing

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;1pxkQ1mFjNA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=1pxkQ1mFjNA[/video]​

Google announces some new partnerships and features in order to take Google Wallet to the next level. Just last month Google announced that Google Wallet now had support for all types of credit cards. They aim to eventually replace the rest of the cards in your wallet as well, so that a virtual/digital wallet actually becomes a viable option.

In order to make Google Wallet a possible complete wallet replacement, Google is working with vendors to be able to handle loyalty cards, rewards cards, boarding passes, tickets, coupons, public transportation passes, and maybe even your official ID someday. That last one will be a challenge, but most of the others mentioned are actually already in the works and Google may even be able to pull things off within the next couple of months. We will keep you posted as things develop.

Source: Google Developers

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
This is awesome, but the biggest barrier will be the carriers allowing this... I can't get the updated version on my VZW Gnex because big red is being (insert your own impolite word/s here), I'm still stuck with the Citi MasterCard version.

Jeyman

Reaction score
Paying for stuff is one thing, but making it for everything else I fear might be to much. I would never have my ID on my phone.

Mark_V

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto G4 Plus
When I flew back to OKC from LAX my boarding pass was a QR code on my phone. Very cool and very easy. Not all airports are able to use them though. :( But that day is coming. :)

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The car keys is the big one. Give me a convenient and secure way of opening my doors and starting my car so I can leave the keys behind. Yeah, it's pretty much out there already (maybe not with Android), but I'm probably not going to go spend $500 just to ditch my keys.

And I still prefer to use cash for little local mom & pop stuff. Saves them that 2-3% and it's not like a few dollar transaction is costing me a lot of points. I've also had my CC info stolen twice, so I really don't like using it at bars and restaurants (anywhere that I'd have to sign and leave a receipt).

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
When I flew back to OKC from LAX my boarding pass was a QR code on my phone. Very cool and very easy. Not all airports are able to use them though. :( But that day is coming. :)

I do this all the time. Just make sure you have it loaded/saved on your phone when you get to the agent because sometimes you might not get a signal in the airport!

Your d/l would be cool, too. But if you travel out of the 48 states I'd take some back-up hard copy ID's with you, just in case.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is awesome, but the biggest barrier will be the carriers allowing this... I can't get the updated version on my VZW Gnex because big red is being (insert your own impolite word/s here), I'm still stuck with the Citi MasterCard version.

If you want it, I can upload you the apk.

Xander Crews

Reaction score
Yeah...I'd love to start using Google Wallet...but until Verizon quits being a bunch of bastards and unblocks this, I won't be able to install it.
They are blocking it because they are releasing their own version of a wallet type app next year...apparently.

Nothing like trying to limit your customer's options so you can monopolize the situation by only giving them access to the app you make...that isn't even out yet btw. Pfft.

Bunch o' Douches if you ask me.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't know how VZW can block it. I guess maybe they can on the grounds of a security risk, but otherwise it runs amok of anti-trust laws to just block an app (they just got smacked for doing that with tethering apps).

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
They are blocking it because they are releasing their own version of a wallet type app next year...apparently.

Nothing like trying to limit your customer's options so you can monopolize the situation by only giving them access to the app you make...that isn't even out yet btw. Pfft.

Verizon's competing "wallet app" appears to be set to launch next month, actually. They've been stonewalling Google Wallet while working on Isis in the meantime.

Xander Crews

Reaction score
I don't know how VZW can block it. I guess maybe they can on the grounds of a security risk, but otherwise it runs amok of anti-trust laws to just block an app (they just got smacked for doing that with tethering apps).

Yup, from what I hear they are blocking it due to a security risk...or so they say. Lame.
How convenient that they block it but at the same time are developing their own.
Security risk my ass.