Google Working on Replacing Cookies With Less Intrusive Tracking Method

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Sep 19, 2013.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

It looks like Google has been taking all the intrusive data tracking complaints seriously and is working on a solution. According to a report at USAToday, Google is developing something called anonymous identifier for advertisers (AdID), which will eventually be a replacement for the third party cookies which are primarily used today. Here's a quote with a few more details,

The primary purpose of this new system would give users more control over how their data habits are tracked over the web. Their method would actually offer users the ability to limit ad tracking through browser settings and more. Here's another quick quote,

What do you guys think of Google's potentially elegant solution?
  2. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

Elegant solution for whom? For Google as an end-around to people who've learned to deal with cookies and blocking ads, or for the user?
  3. johnomaz

johnomaz Well-Known Member

This also doesn't mean that all ad companies will use it. Cookies have been an issue for what, over a decade. I personally don't want anything tracking my internet whereabouts, anonymous or not. I understand that is big revenue for companies, but that doesn't mean they have the right to just do it because they can.
  4. leeshor

leeshor DF Super Moderator Staff Member

They used to call something very similar "WEB beacons" Some are still being used by WEB sites to let them know you visited without needing a cookie.

Google Analytics, which many companies depend on to determine where their WEB traffic is coming from and count visitors etc, does not work without cookies. In other words you don't count if cookies are off or denied.
  5. xsylus

xsylus Active Member

Perhaps they should also work on a more secure way of storing passwords in Chrome. :disappointed:
  6. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

It would still go through cyberdine, oops I meant Google, though. :(

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    Notate