Google Working On "Project Treble" In Hopes To End Fragmentation On Android!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
android-o-logo1-810x298_c-png.77776

There is one word that has been synonymous with Android for the past several years and that word my friends is fragmentation. Apple fan boys love to utter the word. While Apple has to work to get a handful of devices running the latest version of iOS there happen to be thousands of Android devices made by hundreds of OEMs. Getting all the Android devices on a singular version of Android is impossible. That being said Google is currently working on a project to make the process easier for OEMs to get their phones on the latest version of Android. The project is called "Project Treble".

Google has already done the work make the Pixel and Pixel XL compatible with the project but says they can't force other OEMs to do the same. The project will be in place for any device shipping with Android O. Treble makes it easier and less expensive for OEMs to update their flagships and other devices but won't guarantee that everyone will be on board or do their part. Google says they are currently working with "some companies" to get their flagships upgraded to Android O and are even helping to "treble-ize" some devices. Hopefully companies like Samsung will jump on board. My Galaxy S8 is still running Android 7.0 even though 7.1.1 has been around for a while and Google will be announcing Android 8.0 Monday!

via XDA

Attachments

• android-o-logo1-810x298_c.png
    android-o-logo1-810x298_c.png
    11.5 KB · Views: 7,747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Maybe they plan to bypass service providers like Apple does

That will be the only way I would think, problem is the service providers have say. And some like to hold and prevent updates, especially for a device that has been out over a year, to encourage people to upgrade early.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
That will be the only way I would think, problem is the service providers have say. And some like to hold and prevent updates, especially for a device that has been out over a year, to encourage people to upgrade early.

It's just insane to me that they don't have the same say against Apple >_< how much money are they freaking paying them?!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It's just insane to me that they don't have the same say against Apple >_< how much money are they freaking paying them?!

Apple commands that they set the rules or they won't allow them to sell the phone. So to be fair Apple's stance about their way or no way at all includes carriers and not just customers.

Google and android manufacturers were willing to cave ever since their introduction. And with so many android manufacturers, especially the companies like Lenovo, that are willing to do whatever to get their phones in people's hands, it's too late to try and play tough now.

Plus the reality is a lot of people in the general public don't care about updates. In fact how many times have you heard someone complain they "hate what ____manufacturer did to my phone, how do I go back to the way it was?"

There are people who hate change, especially some of the older users or those less familiar with tech. Once they learn a certain way a phone looks and get their phone set up a certain way, they do not want to have it disturbed.

That F-word (fragmentation) is only big among the techies. And with phones like the Pixel, if one is really concerned there are options.

Now I will say that it bugs me to no end that a manufacturer like Samsung (via AT&T) will be 6-8 months behind Google when it comes to updates and that's why I go Nexus/Pixel.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Well said @pc747 ^^^. Most people I know, and spend time with are not tech savvy. Once they get used to a phone and whatever OS came with it they don't ever want to change until it's absolutely necessary to get a new phone. I hear it all the time..."that new Android ruined my phone."

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I could careless about fragmentation. it does not affect my usage. also, I don't pay attention to people who say the new update ruined their phones. most of the time, when they actually learn how to use the new features or steps, they grow to like it. then the cycle starts again with the next update :)

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well said @pc747 ^^^. Most people I know, and spend time with are not tech savvy. Once they get used to a phone and whatever OS came with it they don't ever want to change until it's absolutely necessary to get a new phone. I hear it all the time..."that new Android ruined my phone."

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

And if we are hearing it in our circles, imagine what the carriers deal with at the stores. So I think that we as tech heads make fragmentation and upgrades a big deal and think that because everyone on the forums and sites are saying the same then why are the carriers ignoring it.

Sadly updates are not as big a deal as we think among majority of the customers. Look (ie being thin), durability (somewhat), sd cards, and features are what sell phones.

Last edited:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
... And some like to hold and prevent updates, especially for a device that has been out over a year, to encourage people to upgrade early.

I don't really think that's the case. I think they DO care about quality, which is the issue with no control over the software or hardware. Bloatware is probably the bigger factor, since if VZW isn't pushing the update they can't get a revenue stream from bloatware.

Most people don't care about their android version, much at all (especially at this point), for that to factor into an upgrade decision. Nor does VZW make money on phones purchased with any sort of subsidy. Probably 95% of their revenues come from service plans alone.

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
Plus the reality is a lot of people in the general public don't care about updates. In fact how many times have you heard someone complain they "hate what ____manufacturer did to my phone, how do I go back to the way it was?"

I've owned 2 smartphones. The first, a Razr Maxx bought in early 2012, then my current Note4 bought 12/31/15.
Both phones worked awesome until a forced update within the first 6 months of ownership.
I sure wish that they could do something to stop that from happening, or allow us to not accept OS updates.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Never had an update that messed up a phone or tablet. I will always wait for the update and the apps to update then delete the cache partition. I found the updated devices always ran smoother once the old files are completely gone.

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
Never had an update that messed up a phone or tablet. I will always wait for the update and the apps to update then delete the cache partition. I found the updated devices always ran smoother once the old files are completely gone.
I don't know how to do that.
Does it provide a better result than doing a FDR after the update?
I did a FDR after both, to no avail...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I guess FDR will delete the partition cache but not totally sure.
Yes but there are two easier ways to wipe cache and keep data.

1) A simple reboot. This will clear most of the issues you encounter, especially after removing a bad app.

2) reboot into recover and wipe cache from recovery, this is the ideal method for if you have issues after an update.

3) FDR this is for if your phone remain buggy after the first 2 methods.

Now some software updates could be buggy and if that is the case then there is not much you can do until it is patched or another software is flashed (not recommended unless you know what you are doing and know your way around ROMs).

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk