Google Working on Improved Camera Support and RAW Features for Android

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nexus-5-new-android-camera-api-coming.png

It looks like Google will be finally working on improving their most neglected feature in Android, the camera software. First, a developer named Josh Brown noticed in some Android code that Google is working on a new Android camera API. This new API would allow the camera to store RAW (uncompressed) images along with the JPEG ones. This would provide users with a massive amount of correction and manipulation capabilities after the image is captured. It looks like the new API might also get some stock support for modular and external cameras, which would be rather unusual.

That's not all. Here's a quote with more of the details,

The new API also supports face detection. This includes bounding boxes around faces and center coordinates for the eyes and mouth. In addition to the face-focus capabilities, the system can assign unique IDs to each face (provided they stay on screen) so developers could do things like assign silly hats to multiple faces in a video feed. While you may have seen face detection on some Android devices, those were all solutions built by Android OEMs.

There's support for burst mode, too—another feature that you would swear was already included in Android, but isn't. On Nexus devices, the only "burst mode" involves the user pressing the shutter button really fast.

Finally, there are also hints in the code that Google is working on improving the image quality and "fine-grain control" in the camera capabilities on Android. Supposedly this new API work was started in December of 2012, so it's possible we might see it show up in a later version of KitKat. It's exciting to see Google finally paying attention to one of the most important aspects of a smartphone.

Source: ArsTechnica

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I have a DSLR and love shooting in RAW. The problem is the size of the files. 30 megs each on averge. Plus, RAW isn't going to fix the issue with the fact that we need better lenses on phones if you want them to be serious competitors to actual cameras.

If Google does put RAW in android, they need to let SD cards be put in Nexus devices or set a minimum of 64 gigs internal memory.

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
1.Moto-G, Droid-X, 3.Droid 2
Twitter
@AECRADIO
I would love to be able to use a commercial camera as a USB adapted device, and bypass the internal ones, then using real image editors, create shots that are truly unique and outstanding.
Even the point and shoot cameras outdo phone cameras, and many now have optical zoom in excess of 4X.

Addition:
While using a USB camera connected to the phone, you would still be able to send video, sms and picture messages via the phone, with the only difference being, is the images would be far better and clearer, as I would assume even P & S cameras have image stabilization, mine does

Last edited:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would love to be able to use a commercial camera as a USB adapted device, and bypass the internal ones, then using real image editors, create shots that are truly unique and outstanding.
Even the point and shoot cameras outdo phone cameras, and many now have optical zoom in excess of 4X.

Addition:
While using a USB camera connected to the phone, you would still be able to send video, sms and picture messages via the phone, with the only difference being, is the images would be far better and clearer, as I would assume even P & S cameras have image stabilization, mine does

I use a Wi-Fi SD card in my standalone camera and its app to quickly transfer photos to my devices. It's really nice to shoot, send, check on a tablet so I know quickly what, if anything in the camera settings should be adjusted for a better finished product. Transcend allows both jpeg and RAW to be shared from the camera. Using it on the Notes allows me to jot notes on top of the photo copy also.
Here's an example
Camera lenses on phones have a long way to go before I'd want to go in the opposite direction and edit a phone photo on my standalone camera.
Oh I forgot, once the photo is on the device I can upload it to wherever such as a cloud, social media, email, etc just as easily

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
s pen aholic in Beast Mode (Notetoo)

Last edited:

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
@AECRADIO
Not long ago, I was drooling about in Best Buy, and saw those WiFi SD cards....'almost' bought one!
And I agree, until the ameras in phones get far better optics and capabilities, I doubt any serious pixel shooter would consider using one for real work.

Nice Egret, by the way!

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I got the 64gb , class 10, version on Amazon on special for $46. At the time non Wi-Fi class 10 that size were going for that much or more.
Some use them professionally, setting them up to take a portrait photo, look at it on a big tablet, buy the print(s). That business seems to be most popular at weddings from what I've read.
Anyway, I'm glad Android is upgrading things but they need to spend more than .85 on the lens to get the most from the increase in capability. My old Dare phone with a 3.2mp camera and no do dads takes as good of a shot as my Note2 with all its bells and whistles because they put an excellent lens onboard.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
I'm an "s pen aholic" Noteate

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I'd say quit with this making super thin phones and put larger camera sensors in. I'd have no problem with some extra heft if the shots were killer!

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd say quit with this making super thin phones and put larger camera sensors in. I'd have no problem with some extra heft if the shots were killer!

Not only that but my big hands don't like credit card thin phones either. They don't seem to register there being a device in them and let go too often. I put a Defender on my Note2 to thicken it up a little more.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
s pen aholic in Beast Mode (Notetoo)

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
@AECRADIO
With the pacification of teh 'gentler masses', the transformation of a solid product into one of miniscule proportions is beginning to take its toll on quality and durability.
Credit cards are easily destroyed, and so go the credit card phones, no room left to put anything of value in them, simply dressing the cases to impress the technically uninformed!

No, we do not need to return to the heftiness of the transportables of the 1980s, but please return to making devices that you can hold and not have to worry about destroying if you grip the case to tightly.