Google wipes out Gmail accounts and messages

n2imagination

Reaction score
This is from the google apps website...

With synchronous replication, your data and activity in Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Docs and Google Sites is simultaneously preserved in multiple secure data centers. If one data center is unable to serve your requests, the system is designed to instantly fall back to another data center that can serve your account with no interruption in service.

I don't know if this only applies to the $50/yr Google app accounts but it seems as though those are backed up. I also have seen that Google is working to get the content back for the -8% that were effected by this also.

R

RETG

Anyone able to access GMAIL via the web?

I can get emails via thunderbird, but they do not appear on my Droid X, and I cannot access my gmail account via the internet. This is a bit strange....

angelav

Reaction score
At this point, I can access my original email account I made about 6 years ago, but ALL previous messages, (read, saved, or otherwise) are gone. It's like a new account. However, my current email (the one attached to my Droid) I cannot access.

People, keep posting that you heard google is fixing it and will restore everything back eventually. I can't hear it enough.

PikaCane

Reaction score
Per Engadget, they are expecting to have everyone's access back in less than 12 hours. Which means probably eight, now. They also expect to recover everyone's data, although perhaps not on the same time frame.

Help any? :)

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

adsfa34

Reaction score
Actually, to save my emails, I have a choice of saving them directly to the Mac or to gmail itself. So those I save to gmail I guess don't go on the hard drive when I do a backup.

some mail clients store a copy of each subscribed folder and the emails within it on your local computer (your mac in this case). you would just need to check if "offline storage" is enabled or something similar, depending on the client you use to access gmail from your computer.

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
Google has been pushing their "cloud-based" computing concept for quite a while now especially with the release of their Chrome OS powered notebook. Their sales pitch is that even if you lose your hardware your data is still right where you left it. Really? Are you sure about that Google?

R

RETG

Well it is March 1, and GMAIL is still down. Just sent myself an email from my government account to my gmail account and nothing. Not on Thunderbird, not on the X, and cannot access it via the gmail website.

This is what I get when trying to access the website:
This is taking longer than usual.Try reloading the page.
If that doesn't work, you can:
  1. Disable Labs and try again.
  2. If you're on a slow connection, try basic HTML view.
  3. For more troubleshooting tips, visit the help center.
And their app status pages shows "NO ISSUES." :icon_evil:

R

RETG

Update. Took five minutes, but finally, the message I sent myself appeared on Thunderbird and on the X. But still no luck signing into the webpage.

adsfa34

Reaction score
if the news is getting out about the sever failure then it could be experiencing unusually high load. it probably would affect server speed though. google's computing capacity is out of this world.

fwiw ... i just checked mine. in and out from sign in to email on the web interface... couldn't have been more than 10 seconds. and my thunderbird has been working perfectly all morning. i haven't gotten any notifications of server timeouts yet this morning.

do you use thunderbird via IMAP or POP? that could affect the load time on your computer.