Google wipes out Gmail accounts and messages

angelav

Reaction score
I'm screwed.

Had no warning. Got logged out of google chat on my Droid and when I tried to log on my computer, it said ALL my accounts have been disabled. I keep my calendar on google plus several important messages and contacts. I can't access Market now on my Droid because my phone used that particular email address (and I came here to figure out how to undo it). I also have a blog I've kept for 4 hours online under another email and I won't be able to access that as well.

I've sent many emails and filled out "forms" but so far, either sent a request to fill out more forms or no answer to my problem. I'm sweating it.

Mrs EB

Reaction score
If I were part of that percentage, would that mean that my messages are also gone when I check my gmail account on my Macbook Pro? Gmail is my the only email that I have set up on the Macbook Pro.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
If I were part of that percentage, would that mean that my messages are also gone when I check my gmail account on my Macbook Pro? Gmail is my the only email that I have set up on the Macbook Pro.

Yeah it's not an android specific thing. Affects your email itself regardless of how you access it.

dafischman

Reaction score
This is my biggest fear about cloud networking. Unless a company has a very good redundancy plan I see these things happening more and more often. If I accidently delete something at home, it's my fault, I'd be mad but if someone else does it on some server elsewhere. Anyways, so far I'm unaffected.

Josh

sgtguthrie

Reaction score
Wait, is it just gmail? Or your entire google account? I would be screwed! Calendar, contacts, email, picasa web albums, etc. I need to look into finding a way to backup EVERYTHING without it being a constant effort...

Sent from my Droid running whatever ROM and Kernel I chose to use today...

Mrs EB

Reaction score

Yeah it's not an android specific thing. Affects your email itself regardless of how you access it.
What if I were to check my email on my laptop before I used the Droid? Would I still have my email?

devator22

Reaction score
I feel like the title of this post should have been a little more clear. I saw it and freaked out, but then read it only affected .08% of people >.>

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

What if I were to check my email on my laptop before I used the Droid? Would I still have my email?

From what I understand, it doesn't matter where you check it from, if you were one of the ones affected. You can try backing everything up if you want in case you're worried about it happening. But from what I'm reading, it's your Gmail itself that gets wiped out, doesn't matter if you use an android phone, a Macbook, or Linux. The emails are not stored on your computer, their stored in Google's cloud, and that's where the problem is. If you are one of the ones affected, there is nothing you can do except wait for Google to hopefully fix it.

Mrs EB

Reaction score
Besides wanting to know if my email would still be there if I used my laptop first before the Droid (yes, I know this problem affected >1% of users), I also wanted to find out if only new inbox emails were being deleted or are all the emails gone including those in the inbox and others filed.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Besides wanting to know if my email would still be there if I used my laptop first before the Droid (yes, I know this problem affected >1% of users), I also wanted to find out if only new inbox emails were being deleted or are all the emails gone including those in the inbox and others filed.

It's all emails that weren't archived that are gone. Meaning if they weren't filed, they would be gone. Again, this is only if you are one of the ones affected, and Google says that they expect everyone to get their mail back.

Mrs EB

Reaction score

From what I understand, it doesn't matter where you check it from, if you were one of the ones affected. You can try backing everything up if you want in case you're worried about it happening. But from what I'm reading, it's your Gmail itself that gets wiped out, doesn't matter if you use an android phone, a Macbook, or Linux. The emails are not stored on your computer, their stored in Google's cloud, and that's where the problem is. If you are one of the ones affected, there is nothing you can do except wait for Google to hopefully fix it.
Ahhh ok. Then you answered my next question I think. I back everything up to an external hard drive. Wouldn't my gmail emails and settings also be backed up?

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

Ahhh ok. Then you answered my next question I think. I back everything up to an external hard drive. Wouldn't my gmail emails and settings also be backed up?

You back up your hard drive? If so, no, that has nothing to do with your gmail. You would have had to back up your gmail from gmail itself (I believe by archiving although I'm not positive). If that's what you did then it's fine. If you just backed up your hard drive, no, that won't prevent you from losing your emails, as your emails are not stored on your hard drive

Mrs EB

Reaction score
You back up your hard drive? If so, no, that has nothing to do with your gmail. You would have had to back up your gmail from gmail itself (I believe by archiving although I'm not positive). If that's what you did then it's fine. If you just backed up your hard drive, no, that won't prevent you from losing your emails, as your emails are not stored on your hard drive
My backup is the external hard drive. I thought it backed up everything including the emails.

Now I have to learn how to "archive" them.

Thanks.

Mrs EB

Reaction score
Actually, to save my emails, I have a choice of saving them directly to the Mac or to gmail itself. So those I save to gmail I guess don't go on the hard drive when I do a backup.