Google wipes out Gmail accounts and messages

Discussion in 'Android News' started by DF Smod, Feb 28, 2011.

1. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

[​IMG]

The unthinkable may have happened, it seems some few thousand Gmail users had their inboxes cleared of all messages and their messages, labels, and settings have all been set back to default over night.

Google has confirmed that there is a problem on the Google Apps dashboard and engineers are busy working on the issue, with the affected accounts disabled.

The company said it affected less than 0.08 per cent of the Gmail user base. This doesn't sound like a big number, but considering that the Gmail user base is in the millions that still amounts to thousands of people losing their emails.

Hopefully this has not affected any of our members, but if it has we would like to hear from you and about the solution Google is offering -

Be sure to check the Status Board for direct Google updates on this issue

Original Source
  2. creaky

creaky Member

Ugh. Luckily my account is fine, but at the risk of hyperbole, this is a doomsday scenario for some of us.
  3. Larry_ThaGr81

Larry_ThaGr81 New Member

My account is ok as well.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  4. Gaman

Gaman New Member

Account's also fine. Would suck if all my stuff was deleted :/
  5. paynomind

paynomind New Member

My account is fine, but how can one back up their messages? I have saved my contacts but haven't ever seen a way to archive messages.

Anyone?
  6. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

You back up your messages by archiving them. They get place in your All Mail and you can retrieve them by using labels on your phone or by going to gmail on line.
  7. paynomind

paynomind New Member

That's not what I mean. All the mail in any folder is saved in gmail. But in this case, of a massive Gmail failure, all of their data is gone. I'd like to know how to download a zip file with all of my messages.
  8. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

Try looking at the "offline" section under settings. This might not be the most ideal but it looks as though it might be a viable option for some.

PS the other option you have is setting up a backup account somewhere, very redundant but that works also.
  9. rlarson_mn

rlarson_mn New Member

Led lights

The latest revision update just finished and after rebooting my notification LEDs are working again.
  10. Dusty

Dusty Premium Member Premium Member

OMG! I lost everything! I was in the middle of corresponding with a Prince in Nigeria!

I was about to enter into a venture that would change the economic and political face of the entire region! Now I don't have his email address or banking information!

Google will hear about this!
  11. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

Hit me up via pm I have his address. I'm one of the lucky ones to be working with him too!!!!!

Sent from my Droid
  12. phantom phenom

phantom phenom New Member

oh great, im one of them.
    :icon_evil:
  13. adsfa34

adsfa34 New Member

there is no out-of-the-box method of easily backing up your gmail messages, but you CAN use a POP3 client to pull a copy of your messages off the server (make sure in your configuration, that you leave a copy on the server, otherwise it will remove the only copy) and that will save them locally to your computer.

there is no zip or tar/gz export feature in gmail as of yet. the POP3 method would allow you to save full copies of each message in your inbox, along with attachments. depending on what email client you use for this, there may be an export feature that you could use with it.

contacts are easily backed up in 2 formats, vcard and google csv. i export and keep both for good measure. this is easily done from the gmail web interface under "more actions".

also, thunderbird IMAP has a feature that enables offline storage, where it backs up all synchronized folders. that's what i use. it is IMAP, so it runs fast and downloads only headers for new messages, but will backup the measure in a restore-able format for the just-in-case scenario once the full message is downloaded/accessed.

consequently, my gmail was ok ... shwew!

hope this helps :)
  14. BlueSami

BlueSami New Member

Saw this news yesterday..
    Backed up my gmail last night!

Maybe the cloud is all its cracked up to be..
  15. Mopdaddy

Mopdaddy New Member

I'm good Google must have deleted all the unimportant people... JK
  16. angelav

angelav New Member

I'm screwed.

Had no warning. Got logged out of google chat on my Droid and when I tried to log on my computer, it said ALL my accounts have been disabled. I keep my calendar on google plus several important messages and contacts. I can't access Market now on my Droid because my phone used that particular email address (and I came here to figure out how to undo it). I also have a blog I've kept for 4 hours online under another email and I won't be able to access that as well.

I've sent many emails and filled out "forms" but so far, either sent a request to fill out more forms or no answer to my problem. I'm sweating it.
  17. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

Wow this could be bad for many people....
  18. Mrs EB

Mrs EB New Member

If I were part of that percentage, would that mean that my messages are also gone when I check my gmail account on my Macbook Pro? Gmail is my the only email that I have set up on the Macbook Pro.
  19. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

Yeah it's not an android specific thing. Affects your email itself regardless of how you access it.
  20. dafischman

dafischman New Member

This is my biggest fear about cloud networking. Unless a company has a very good redundancy plan I see these things happening more and more often. If I accidently delete something at home, it's my fault, I'd be mad but if someone else does it on some server elsewhere. Anyways, so far I'm unaffected.

Josh