Google where's my phone app

Discussion in 'Droid Forums Member News Depot' started by pc747, Aug 3, 2013.

1. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

2. KaChow

KaChow Guest

This is scary, would this mean that through this app, not only could an OTA be downloaded, but pushed and installed. It could erase all my data, change the pin on my lockscreen and have total security control over my device. What this means that if Motorola finds a way to either patch Root or patch the bootloader Unlock it could run without my acknowledgement at all at any time. This is an invasion of personal privacy.:frown:
  3. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

Android Device Manager Already Appearing On Devices Through Google Play Services 3.2.25 [Download]

The reason you give it permission so you can remotely wipe your phone from your google account. But you are right if someone hack you gmail or google account then they have access to your phone but they also have access to your credit card info through google wallet, your phone number, your address, and other credentials. So yes the more we do to try and protect ourselves the more risks we take. By the way I highly recommend turning on 2 step verification. I had my gmail account hacked twice and both times I had it off.
  4. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod Staff Member Premium Member

Using SeekDroid already, but maybe this could be another backup. Good to see Google implementing one of these though.

And +1 for 2-step verification.