google wallet

SwagTech

Reaction score
I just received an email from Google stating that I must use the balance of the prepaid card before Oct 12 because they are doing away with the prepaid card. Anyone else get this?.. im rooted, hope it works lol

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes they are doing away with prepaid. I already have the updated wallet apk and have added my credit card. Works great.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Capone76

Reaction score
I think I felt safer with the prepaid card and being able to add funds to that. I'm just really not comfortable putting my cards on this. Maybe its really safe but I just don't feel right putting credit cards on a app that could be hacked. If I'm wrong please help me understand better. Then there's the whole unsupported device message if your rooted and if something should happen then your screwed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Droid Forums

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think I felt safer with the prepaid card and being able to add funds to that. I'm just really not comfortable putting my cards on this. Maybe its really safe but I just don't feel right putting credit cards on a app that could be hacked. If I'm wrong please help me understand better. Then there's the whole unsupported device message if your rooted and if something should happen then your screwed.

What isn't safe? Your card data is encrypted on your SIM. Google Wallet times out after 5 minutes and you must reunlock the app, and they tied account data to your account instead of the phone. Now someone can't factory reset your phone and have access. They must know the password to your Google account.

Last edited:

Capone76

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I definitely hope mobile payments take off in the future. So you think be rooted is still safe with the wallet?

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I definitely hope mobile payments take off in the future. So you think be rooted is still safe with the wallet?

Yes. I'd just use a PIN unlock for your lock screen in addition to the Wallet pin for extra security. In all seriousness, I think losing your phone with Google Wallet on it is safer than losing your actual wallet. No card companies to call, you don't have to figure out how to get a new license, insurance cards, etc. Maybe slightly more expensive venture but I believe your data is safer from being compromised.

KeepItReal

Reaction score
Safety can also be enhanced by installing an app that can help you track your phone,a well a remote wipe. I think the virus scanner Lookout does this. If you bought TEC or the insurance from Verizon from Assurion, you get their Mobile Recovery app for free as well. The key is you have to leave GPS on all the time. As the user said in the other post, this is even more secure than losing your own leather wallet!

Capone76

Reaction score
I read somewhere that we will be able to put ID cards on wallet as well sometime in the future.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere that we will be able to put ID cards on wallet as well sometime in the future.

I've heard that as well. Google wants to replace the typical consumer's wallet. And I love that. One less thing for me to worry about losing.

delcopa

Reaction score
Safety can also be enhanced by installing an app that can help you track your phone,a well a remote wipe. I think the virus scanner Lookout does this. If you bought TEC or the insurance from Verizon from Assurion, you get their Mobile Recovery app for free as well. The key is you have to leave GPS on all the time. As the user said in the other post, this is even more secure than losing your own leather wallet!

You can also reset Google Wallet from the web to wipe out the information inside the application now. Also when you actually purchase something it goes to a virtual card through Google before being charged to your actual CC. You can see that inside the CC information after you add it.

Capone76

Reaction score
With you on that. I hate lugging my wallet around. I'm a serious germaphobe too. Lol. I want to see NFC on vending machines. Lol I know that will never happen. No seriously we will probably have to continue carrying a wallet for a long time yet.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
With you on that. I hate lugging my wallet around. I'm a serious germaphobe too. Lol. I want to see NFC on vending machines. Lol I know that will never happen. No seriously we will probably have to continue carrying a wallet for a long time yet.

My school has NFC on the vending machines. I wow them every time. ;)

Capone76

Reaction score
No kidding? That's cool. I can't tell you how many times I've been ripped off by machines at work. Put a ten or larger bill in a don't get change back.