Google Wallet

Capone76

Reaction score
I want to know how secure wallet really is. On some ROMs is says unsupported device and on the one I'm on now it don't. JBS ROM! Is our information secure from everybody?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Droid Forums

zero7404

Reaction score
its pretty secure IF you're not rooted ... if you are and lost the phone u better have some kind of remote wipe capability

posted via android ....

zero7404

Reaction score
a tip for you ... if you dl ota rootkeeper, backup your su, then unroot ur device. depending on your rom it may or may not go smoothly.

that way youll be unrooted and completely secure when using nfc.

i simply run the oem stock rom, i root using ota rootkeeper whenever i need to use an app that requires root, then just unroot when im done.

its also good practice to break away from root dependencies ....

posted via android ....

OP
C

Capone76

Reaction score
zero7404 said:
a tip for you ... if you dl ota rootkeeper, backup your su, then unroot ur device. depending on your rom it may or may not go smoothly.

i simply run the oem stock rom, i root using ota rootkeeper whenever i need to use an app that requires root, then just unroot when im done.

posted via android ....

Can anyone get my information being rooted and using wallet?

OP
C

Capone76

Reaction score
zero7404 said:

posted via android ....

I guess a better way to phrase my question. Can anyone get your information remotely or hack onto your phone being rooted? I know it would be compromised if you lost it.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
I guess a better way to phrase my question. Can anyone get your information remotely or hack onto your phone being rooted? I know it would be compromised if you lost it.

Absolutely not. You're completely safe.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

OP
C

Capone76

Reaction score
sbenson said:

SBENSON if I encrypt my phone would that help with peace of mind? And can I do it being unlocked and rooted? Also it doesn't say that it wipes your phone data so I'm wondering if I should do that. Also I think the work the developers do are amazing but I heard they can gain access to personal info. Not saying they would but people could come across some untrustworthy ROMs. Thanks

zero7404

Reaction score

i disagree with this. even when cc information is hidden/protected, nfc signals can still be sniffed/intercepted.

posted via android ....

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
i disagree with this. even when cc information is hidden/protected, nfc signals can still be sniffed/intercepted.

posted via android ....

From the Nexus? No. They would have to make direct contact with the phone and even then, Wallet would have to be unlocked for them to be able to get anything.

zero7404

Reaction score
From the Nexus? No. They would have to make direct contact with the phone and even then, Wallet would have to be unlocked for them to be able to get anything.

i dont believe its direct contact, even though the instruction is to touch the device on the pad, its still a wireless transmission

posted via android ....

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
i dont believe its direct contact, even though the instruction is to touch the device on the pad, its still a wireless transmission

posted via android ....

For wallet, yes, you have to be within a few milometers. For other things like pictures, nfc just kick-starts the process, then the phone will turn on blue-tooth automatically to transfer the picture.

OP
C

Capone76

Reaction score
sbenson said:
For wallet, yes, you have to be within a few milometers. For other things like pictures, nfc just kick-starts the process, then the phone will turn on blue-tooth automatically to transfer the picture.

Thanks for the your help guys.

zero7404

Reaction score
also keep in mind this:

even though there is a separate circuit thats dedicated to nfc on the nexus, rights and permissions still get tunneled thru the app, which resides in the os.

we all kno a rooted os means those rights/permissions can be changed easily as compared with an unrooted os. this is why you should unroot when you plan on using wallet.

posted via android ....

OP
C

Capone76

Reaction score
zero7404 said:
also keep in mind this:

even though there is a separate circuit thats dedicated to nfc on the nexus, rights and permissions still get tunneled thru the app, which resides in the os.

we all kno a rooted os means those rights/permissions can be changed easily as compared with an unrooted os. this is why you should unroot when you plan on using wallet.

posted via android ....

What's your feelings on encrypting? I've read its not good on rooted device. I wish I could get away from root, there's just too many benefits. But if I encrypted would it help?

zero7404

Reaction score
useless.

at the end of the day, chances that your wallet will be compromised are slim. unless you download apk's from unknown sources and dont know whether they are malicious or not. google will tell you the same thing as what it says up at the top "unsupported device" if u ever do get compromised.

google built the wallet secure 100% IF the os hasnt been rooted.

encrypt phone does nothing really ... except lock the os down if the phone is restarted. but anyone that knows how to fire up stock recovery can easily factory restore to get the phone running. and a factory restore wipes everything.

with all chips though, bits/bytes can be recovered after being deleted, but thats in forensics realms that i dont think anyone is likely to do just to get to the data that once resided on your phone.

posted via android ....