Google Wallet to usher in Android Pay

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
a5lOMEw.jpg

When I first read the name my first reaction was "NOOOO!!!". For one Google was first to the mobile payment scene, and by changing the name to Android Pay they sound like they are trying to play catch up versus leading the pack.

With that said, the reality is Google Wallet will still be around but will be used to purchase items on the web or for person to person pay. Android Pay will be used for tap-to-pay purchases at the registers. Like both Samsung and Apple's Pay software, Android Pay will work with fingerprint scanners, which will be one of the features in Android M.

Despite the name change I like the additions Google is making to their pay software. Look for the Google Pay app to hit the play store soon.

Source: Google introduces Android Pay a replacement for its wallet app on mobile The Verge

Last edited by a moderator:

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I thought the exact same thing......are you kidding me?!?! ANOTHER mobile pay method?! This is getting ridiculous. Google should have simply worked on perfecting Wallet instead of creating a completely new system altogether. There's no reason they couldn't add the fingerprint option to Google Wallet in future update.
SMDH!

S5 tap'n

Powarun

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Guessing the ISIS, wait Softcard, buyout may be the cause of this. I'm with everyone else, Wallet should be improved, before ditching it. This kind of reminds me of Inbox vs Gmail. Extremely similar product, one with more features, the other one just a lightened not needed replacement.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Windows Pay is in the queue. Who's next?

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I am almost waiting for the carriers to take another crack at it. I almost expect Verizon to announce vzpay and make it standard on all vzw phones while making all the other pays difficult to install (basically forcing users to have to side load the apks).

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I agree with pretty much everything said so far, except for not believing they'd ditch something for something else that's similar, yet better.

Anyone remember Google buzz? I was in on the ground floor of that social network. It didn't have the staying power they had hoped it would and then Google+ came around and buzz died. While I think + is definitely better than buzz ever was, I don't see why they couldn't have announced a major 2.0 upgrade and/or introduced the features that eventually were + over time in buzz. While Google+ is a silly name though, I do like it better than buzz.

Forgive me, because I opened the source article in another tab and haven't read it yet, but it's going to be a completely separate app from Wallet? I'm assuming so based on the explanation of it in the OP and will head to read the article after clicking post here.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm thinking it will be a separate app. But will have to wait and see how Google presents it. Because right now to open wallet you have to use a pin (at least that is how I have mine set up). Pay you are suppose to be able to use your fingerprint.

Then again they are actually dissecting wallet because right now you can use wallet to pay at a register, online, or a person. The new system will keep wallet for online and person pay but have android pay for the registers.

I understand the concept but think Google should have left it as it is. Yeah Google wallet does not stand out in the same crowd as Apple and Samsung pay but I don't think it needed to.

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
I am almost waiting for the carriers to take another crack at it. I almost expect Verizon to announce vzpay and make it standard on all vzw phones while making all the other pays difficult to install (basically forcing users to have to side load the apks).

I don't think that'll happen again...IIRC, wasn't Verizon ordered to open up their phones to allow for Google Wallet to be used on it? I, too, remember having to sideload the "bootlegged" APKs on my Galaxy Nexus...until VZW loosened their grasp and allowed it to be legitimately downloaded from the Play Store.

Anyone remember Google buzz? I was in on the ground floor of that social network. It didn't have the staying power they had hoped it would and then Google+ came around and buzz died. While I think + is definitely better than buzz ever was, I don't see why they couldn't have announced a major 2.0 upgrade and/or introduced the features that eventually were + over time in buzz. While Google+ is a silly name though, I do like it better than buzz.

Good ol' Buzz...yeah, I remember that too. I think I tried using it once but didn't see the value. I don't use G+ a whole lot but it does seem better than Buzz was.

One thing I do like about Google...they're not afraid to try stuff. Throw it out there and see how it fares amongst the masses. While many may hate on it, it's still cool of them to try it out. They can get an idea for what the people want.