Google Wallet to usher in Android Pay

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I don't think that'll happen again...IIRC, wasn't Verizon ordered to open up their phones to allow for Google Wallet to be used on it? I, too, remember having to sideload the "bootlegged" APKs on my Galaxy Nexus...until VZW loosened their grasp and allowed it to be legitimately downloaded from the Play Store.

Good ol' Buzz...yeah, I remember that too. I think I tried using it once but didn't see the value. I don't use G+ a whole lot but it does seem better than Buzz was.

One thing I do like about Google...they're not afraid to try stuff. Throw it out there and see how it fares amongst the masses. While many may hate on it, it's still cool of them to try it out. They can get an idea for what the people want.

Actually Google bought Softcard which was the carriers combined card service. I am hoping VZW leaves it alone but my feeling is big red is still working on it. Just this time around they may probably spend more time on developing it, as well as benefit from how far the technology has come. With them being the largest carrier they know that 80% of (non iPhone) smartphone users will not bother trying to go through the headache or trying to sideload another app and will just use it. Not saying iPhone users are smarter, just Apple is not going tolerate VZW mucking up their software like android manufacturers will.

Then again, VZW could have given up all together and decide to leave the pay to the respective manufacturers and concentrate on making money off of their service.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Good ol' Buzz...yeah, I remember that too. I think I tried using it once but didn't see the value. I don't use G+ a whole lot but it does seem better than Buzz was.

One thing I do like about Google...they're not afraid to try stuff. Throw it out there and see how it fares amongst the masses. While many may hate on it, it's still cool of them to try it out. They can get an idea for what the people want.
I was actually WAY more active on buzz than I've been on +. Which is kinda sad, because most of the people I follow on + are people I met through buzz and people that I met through those people. Haha

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Not sure if anyone has been paying attention to Apple's WWDC???

This made me LOL!
- Passbook is being renamed Wallet

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
LOL. It's very similar to GWallet. That's where you put your Boarding Pass and your Rewards Cards. You don't use it to pay for stuff, though.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Ugh... are they SERIOUSLY calling it Android Pay? I was hoping we were wrong on that.
*cuss word* *cuss word* LEAD Google. Don't FOLLOW. Starting to *expletive* me off.
Google Wallet: simple, direct, to the point...
Android Pay: be the same.... not together....

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...y-to-launch-this-week-say-leaks-10469352.html

Awfully written article, The Independent.
But, I see this will continue to happen. Instead of saying "Android Pay is a refresh of Google Wallet which had been on Android Phones since 2011...." they make it sound like Google is playing catchup. Again... not blaming the media... Android Pay? Really?
#EXPLETIVEFAIL

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Apparently they don't have an editor or proofreader:

"They all aim to turn phones into a contactless credit card, letting people pay by touching the handset on a reader — and allowing them to leave their phones at home."

Wait... what?!?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Ugh... are they SERIOUSLY calling it Android Pay? I was hoping we were wrong on that.
*cuss word* *cuss word* LEAD Google. Don't FOLLOW. Starting to *expletive* me off.
Google Wallet: simple, direct, to the point...
Android Pay: be the same.... not together....

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...y-to-launch-this-week-say-leaks-10469352.html

Awfully written article, The Independent.
But, I see this will continue to happen. Instead of saying "Android Pay is a refresh of Google Wallet which had been on Android Phones since 2011...." they make it sound like Google is playing catchup. Again... not blaming the media... Android Pay? Really?
#EXPLETIVEFAIL
I don't really care what they call it, but I agree with you completely that this article is a bit ridiculous and makes it look like I haven't already used my phone and Google Wallet to pay at McDonald's and Walgreens for months now and I was a super late adopter of Wallet.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Apparently they don't have an editor or proofreader:

"They all aim to turn phones into a contactless credit card, letting people pay by touching the handset on a reader — and allowing them to leave their phones at home."

Wait... what?!?
Magic.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Tbh at the rate nfc payments is going it may not matter what Android call it. Even Apple users are barely using the Apple Pay feature, as they are running into to the same issues Android users with their not being enough companies embracing it. So far the companies that embrace it that I know, outside of some gas stations, are Subway, McD's, Staples, Academy Sports, and Starbucks. Of those stores only Subway I visit frequently and I have not been to a McDs in awhile.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
It's pretty big at Staples. Apple Pay that is...
They really limited themselves since it's only available in the latest iPhones. That said, it could be a genius move on their part....work out the kinks and all.