Google Wallet May Not Be Secure Enough According to Forensics Experts

bp328i

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
The claim seems kind of dubious. The information they were able to get were: the last four digits of the GW account, a list of purchased items, and the remaining balance. These items are pretty useless. It's like looking at someone's ATM receipt and a few store receipts and claiming that you were on the verge of robbing them blind. The phone would have to be rooted and the information is only obtainable with physical access to the phone. So what this tells me is this...

You would have to root your phone, and not have a password lock on it. Someone would then have to physically steal the phone, and, in the end, all they could get from it would be three items of useless information.

If someone had you targeted for identity theft for fraudulent purchases they'd be better off just stealing your wallet or purse if they had physical access to you. Then, they would have your ID and credit cards. If they stole your phone for GW access they'd still need your purchase pin. They would, however have a sweet list of stuff you already bought and an account balance that they don't have access to.

Who paid for this "study". I'm not saying GW is awesome and invincible, but this... this smells fishy, half baked, and sensationalist.

I smell FUD.

Good question, hmmm...doesn't Big Red want Google Wallet off the Galaxy Nexus??? Wonder if they had a hand in this study?

captdroid

Reaction score
So let me get this straight. Google Wallet is not necessarily secure but Verizon and cohorts cell phone payment system is necessarily secure thus Verizon needs Google to be onboard their system for security reasons. hmmm... yea This so called forensics team should find a new line of work because cell phone payment system is not about security, this is about money and control period.

Don't think I want either unless it works just like my credit card. unauthorized charge then no payment for that charge which is typical thorough out the credit card industry. Then of course who cares if it's Google Wallet or Verizon's system which is exactly the way it needs to be since neither will ever be totally secure. Let the money lenders decide who they wish to support!

Last edited:

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
So let me get this straight. Google Wallet is not necessarily secure but Verizon and cohorts cell phone payment system is necessarily secure thus Verizon needs Google to be onboard their system for security reasons. hmmm... yea This so called forensics team should find a new line of work because cell phone payment system is not about security, this is about money and control period.

Don't think I want either unless it works just like my credit card. unauthorized charge then no payment for that charge which is typical thorough out the credit card industry. Then of course who cares if it's Google Wallet or Verizon's system which is exactly the way it needs to be since neither will ever be totally secure. Let the money lenders decide who they wish to support!
Your right, who needs security with their credit card. :wacko: those unknowing researchers.

R

RETG

Did this study say the system Verizon, AT&T and T mobile are developing is safe? Nope and they are not even released or near release yet. So before all the conspiracy mice come out of the woodwork, wait to see how the Verizon system is rated sometime in the future.

Some of you people really have this feeling that Google can do no wrong. WRONG, they can.

It is studies like this that can help to improve the GW system, making it more secure.

captdroid

Reaction score
Your right, who needs security with their credit card. :wacko: those unknowing researchers.

Obviously not what I meant... lol But for a simple minded understanding my comment I can understand your thinking... lol

Last edited:

rjcapp

Reaction score
The best thing you can do is open a credit card and When approved call into customer service and Make the credit card company change the credit limit to something very low like 500. They usually fight you but insist on them doing it. Besides you are not liable if someone steals your credit card And racks up charges.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score

Obviously not what I meant... lol But for a simple minded understanding my comment I can understand your thinking... lol
sorry, Im guilty of skimming but i bolded the thing that stood out to me and the rest of the post is stereotype under the rest of that opinion.

captdroid

Reaction score
sorry, Im guilty of skimming but i bolded the thing that stood out to me and the rest of the post is stereotype under the rest of that opinion.

Actually I am guilty of skimming as well... lol... upon reading the full report from this forensics team I must admit my comment regarding their work in particular is unwarranted. After all they did say "Overall, the Google Wallet is "probably on par" with comparable mobile payment apps, Hoog says." after mentioning Verizon's competing payment system. Must read the source article to get proper context the OP and bigger picture phone payment systems.

ntrddragn

Reaction score
Havent the Japanese been using their cell phone to pay for stuff for awhile now? how are they able to make it secure?

captdroid

Reaction score
Havent the Japanese been using their cell phone to pay for stuff for awhile now? how are they able to make it secure?

There is no way to make it totally secure. Competing (hopefully) cell phone payment services do the best they can. Transactions will be monitored which besides all the encryption, key codes, etc is the best you can do. When flaws are discovered corrective action is taken.

Last edited: