Google Wallet Funds Are Now FDIC Insured

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
FdicLogo.png

It looks like Google has taken their Google Wallet service to a new level of credibility and safety. This morning a new report from Yahoo! News indicated we now have full support from the FDIC (Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation) for Google Wallet. This means any money you put in your Google Wallet account is now insured by the Federal Government for up $250,000 US dollars in the unlikely event Google ever goes bankrupt. The story has yet to be confirmed officially from Google, but we expect that to happen sometime soon.

This story got us to wondering... how many of our members actually use Google Wallet? Sound off in this thread and let us know if you use Google Wallet, and, if so, do you use it a little or a lot?

cerisecons

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 22 Ultra
Great news DG, thanks for sharing, certainly makes me think of using it more.

DjNico

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@djnico
I been using it more and more recently actually. Especially transferring funds to my family or friends is much easier.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Very cool! I still don't see myself using this more than I currently do (Which is never) being that I take my wallet, or at least my DL & debit card wherever I go. It's good to know that it's FDIC insured though....that's huge.

S5 tap'n

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Still need more retailers that take NFC payments, and the ones that do, they need to actually work. CVS/BestBuy/Others blocked NFC payments until they can get their own wallet tech working.

My local HEB has the scanners, they never work.

The only place I have consistently successfully used it is Walgreens. So much nicer using my phone rather than the wallet, we need it more wide spread.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Excellent news. I haven't tossed money into the actual wallet account, mostly because it wasn't protected.

Have to agree with Sydman. I've only ever used mine at Walgreens and McDonalds. Walgreens is extra nice though, because it stores my rewards card info as well, so I don't have to get my wallet or my keys out there.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Nice! I just put $249,999 on my GW account!

OK. Not really. But, if I could I would just so I could be That Guy™.

C3-PO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG V20
I ordered the debit card from Google Wallet and gave it to my young one to teach him some responsibility. The card can be setup only to use money that's actually in the Google Wallet or in my account. I can put money on his card and monitor his spending. Google Wallet alerts me instantly whenever he makes a purchase. It's been a great teaching tool for him.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I ordered the debit card from Google Wallet and gave it to my young one to teach him some responsibility. The card can be setup only to use money that's actually in the Google Wallet or in my account. I can put money on his card and monitor his spending. Google Wallet alerts me instantly whenever he makes a purchase. It's been a great teaching tool for him.
I'll have to remember that when my stepson gets a bit older. That's a great idea!

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2

Sam thought that I had for when my boy is older...

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I use Google Wallet at walmart, staples, and all other venues that allow for it.

realged13

Reaction score
I use it with the actual debit card. My wife and I both have one and we use it for budgeting reasons. It easily allows for me to setup tracking and transferring of money. It keeps my wife and I honest and stick to what we agreed too.

If for some reason she runs out of money, then she still has her other debit card.

I've started loading my different group memberships to it.

Fuchueson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 4
Twitter
mc_morris
I use it but the problem is finding places to use it. For instance, the annoying Isis..er. softcard worked at CVS, G wallet doesn't. Annoying. I am trying to use it more and more now that more places are getting it. But I have also noticed that many places have the correct terminals but don't have nfc payments turned on.