Google Wallet and false advertising.

BadWolf

Reaction score
They claim it is a tap and go system, which it is not.

[video=youtube;cpnppGnzRek]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpnppGnzRek[/video]

[video=youtube;kvjbxf1OXHU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvjbxf1OXHU[/video]

I made my first purchase with Google Wallet. I told the cashier to use credit as instructed. Placed the phone on the pad, the phone wanted my pin number. I enter my pin number and placed it back on the pad. The phone said sent, and I thought that was it. Well the cashier asked me to sign the reciept. I signed it and left. Tap and go NOT. I see this as being a novelty or a fad that won't take off. It's actually easier to use the plastic credit card. At least you don't have to enter a pin number with a credit card.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
the pin number is for security. And it really depends on the store's credit policy on what minimum dollar value you're required to sign on.

ryguy5254

Reaction score
I've used Google Wallet a bunch of times since installing it. I never had to sign anything. And I ordered and payed and dropped jaws in less than 10 seconds in each of them.

OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Reaction score
the pin number is for security. And it really depends on the store's credit policy on what minimum dollar value you're required to sign on.

I understand the security with the pin number, but why can't you enter the pin number before placing the phone on the pad the first time. The amount I purchased was $11.74 and they made me sign for it. Google Wallet will be just a fad if this continues.

Last edited:

humanputting

Reaction score
I used it 3 times and all three times it took less than 5 secs. Didn't sign anything no fuss no questions. Can't wait till we start paying like this from now on.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Reaction score
I used it 3 times and all three times it took less than 5 secs. Didn't sign anything no fuss no questions. Can't wait till we start paying like this from now on.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Still it isn't a "Tap and Go" system as advertised. Tap, enter pin number, Tap again, and maybe Go.

wil318466

Reaction score
If the choice is to tap my phone and enter a pin and sign compared to pulling out my wallet, looking for my credit card, swiping and waiting and signing, it's not even close. Who wants to root through their wallet?

Seems like you are really trying to make an issue of something that simply isn't an issue. It's easier to use the phone, period. If you prefer to use your card, then feel free to but coming online and complaining about it to a bunch of people who like it is pretty lol.

timrock

Reaction score
I tried to use it at a duane reade, i got the sent message, but the transaction wouldnt go thru. I closed the app, then went to open it again, and it wouldnt open at all. I just kept getting force closes.

ryguy5254

Reaction score
I understand the security with the pin number, but why can't you enter the pin number before placing the phone on the pad the first time. The amount I purchased was $11.74 and they made me sign for it. Google Wallet will be just a fad if this continues.

Guess what? You can do that, right before your purchase, turn on your phone, open the app, then enter your pin. When its time to place your phone on the pad, do that and it goes through.

You are just being ignorant.

DHO

Reaction score
The pin is needed for security.

I have never been asked to sign when using it.

OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Reaction score
Guess what? You can do that, right before your purchase, turn on your phone, open the app, then enter your pin. When its time to place your phone on the pad, do that and it goes through.

You are just being ignorant.

I was just following the instructions provided by Google.

TheBoyPat

Reaction score
I tried to use it twice. Tapped phone, entered pin, it says sent. Cashier keeps getting "credit card declined." What went wrong?

ryguy5254

Reaction score
I was just following the instructions provided by Google.

I'd like to see where these 'instructions' are, provided by Google. I'm sure you're not talking about the two Mastercard videos you posted.

Because for one they are from Mastercard.
Secondly, it didn't show the part where the guys opened up the app, typed in their code and payed for the gum/cab ride.

OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Reaction score
I'd like to see where these 'instructions' are, provided by Google. I'm sure you're not talking about the two Mastercard videos you posted.

Because for one they are from Mastercard.
Secondly, it didn't show the part where the guys opened up the app, typed in their code and payed for the gum/cab ride.

Open the Google Wallet app. Press on "How to make a purchase."

View attachment 44761View attachment 44762View attachment 44763View attachment 44764View attachment 44765

The instructions do not tell you to open the app, enter the pin number, and place it on the pad.