Google VP Jabs at Nokia via Twitter

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
vicgundotra_nokia_tweet.jpg

Google VP of engineering Vic Gundotra, recently took a funny jab at Nokia via a Tweet. The setup for this 'verbal' poke is that Nokia will soon hold its Capital Markets Day press event on Friday, February 11 in which they will announce what new OS they will partner with for their smartphones. Also, recently Nokia's CEO, Stephen Elop, said that he believes Nokia is years behind other competitors like the iOS and Android, and that the company has to do better in the smartphone OS battles. Furthermore, most insider info in the industry suggests that Nokia has decided to go with 'Windows Mobile 7' as its new OS of choice to replace or operate alongside Symbian and Meego.

Thus was born Mr Gundotra's Twitter comment above. He is probably referring to the combination of Nokia and Microsoft. His comment is pretty hilarious in that 'oh noes... did he just say that? Snap!' kinda way...

Source: Android.net via SlashGear

DroidMastar2

Reaction score
Google is cool... Microsoft is my favorite... (just not for phones because they don't seem to want to move forward)

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The choice of WinMo is interesting. All else equal, Nokia will make less money on competitively priced phones because they are paying a licensing fee to MS. Although maybe MS is so desperate to get a foothold they'll license WinMo for peanuts.

You could also say that WinMo is a way for Nokia to differentiate it's handsets. Apple would probably want a bundle to license IOS, if they would even do it, and Android is already a very competitive space (consider that Sony Erickson and LG aren't even major players in Android yet but have plenty in the pipeline).

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
i kind of feel like an idiot but i dont get the joke here...?

the tweet "two turkeys don't make an eagle"... He's referring to the rumored partnership of MS and Nokia, two "turkeys" who've gotten theirs handed to them in the smartphone market.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Turkeys can't fly and are clumsy and ugly birds while the Eagle is a symbol of strength and beauty. Sort of like the phrase you can't turn a poodle into a pitbull.
i kind of feel like an idiot but i dont get the joke here...?

Droid--->ether--->this thread

smokiedabong

Reaction score
Sounds to me like somebody is upset that Nokia , the biggest cell phone manufacturer in the world didn't want to sign a contract with them :)) . For now Google has to stick with Motorola who has a 2.8% market share and HTC with 1.8 % , compared to Nokia at 28.2 % . Who's the turkey here ?

smokiedabong

Reaction score
IMO a Nokia running Android would be the greatest phone ever , Nokia's quality has always been top notch .

piquat

Reaction score
Sounds to me like somebody is upset that Nokia , the biggest cell phone manufacturer in the world didn't want to sign a contract with them :)) . For now Google has to stick with Motorola who has a 2.8% market share and HTC with 1.8 % , compared to Nokia at 28.2 % . Who's the turkey here ?

Exactly. This only makes sense to (mostly) people that live in the US.

The rest of the world doesn't see the Google/Motorola/HTC "monopoly" because it's a purely localized thing.

Seems a bit ignorant and small minded at first. But when you realize the twiterer already knows this, it's really kind of dishonest.

t0k3ndr01d

Reaction score
appreciate the clarification there kodiak and ck. it went over my head but you gave me a glove to catch it

allenhayden

Reaction score
HTC Android Phone Simply the Best in Smartphones

Exactly. This only makes sense to (mostly) people that live in the US.

The rest of the world doesn't see the Google/Motorola/HTC "monopoly" because it's a purely localized thing.

Seems a bit ignorant and small minded at first. But when you realize the twiterer already knows this, it's really kind of dishonest.

I think it is not a localized marketed phone. The thing is that very few people use Nokia phones in US. The reason is OS, features, hardware and many more.