Google VP Claims LG Has Been the Best Partner to Work with on Nexus Devices

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
newest-nexus-2015.png

Google's vice president of Android engineering, David Burke, has high praise for LG. In a recent press conference he had this to say about Google working with LG on the Nexus devices, ""LG Electronics is the best partner for us in engineering the Nexus smartphones. We share the same approach to the mobile device market with LG Electronics. Our engineers really like to work with the people at LG Electronics. Together they have become an excellent team."

This should probably come as no surprise considering LG has made 3 Nexus phones in a row. So now that LG has managed a three-peat, do you think next year (or a subsequent year) will see a fourth LG-made Nexus device?

Here's our dedicated section for both Nexus 5 variants:

Source: GforGames

Last edited:

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I would like an Exynos Nexus.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
3 yes but not 3 in a row unless you are considering the nexus 6 a phablet and not a phone.

Still I would like to see more LG nexus phones as Google and LG are working good together. And LG has become one of the leading android manufacturers.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Sucks to be Huawei or Moto right now, but especially Huawei. "Um...Hey. Remember when we worked together on that device that still hasn't shipped yet? Wasn't that fun?"

Still anxiously awaiting my 6P by Huawei. That's the phone for me.

I can see where these comment come from. If nothing else, the OG Nexus 5 has arguably been the favorite Nexus device so far.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Always wondered why the 5X is LG and the 6P is Huawei.

techinv

Reaction score
Not that I want to rain on anyone's parade but I truly hope that someone at Google is looking at after sales support from it's partners. I had a truly horrid experience with the repair of my N5 earlier this year. Had to send it to LG's Texas facility 5 times before it was fixed properly. So I was unable to use the phone for about 4 months total. I volunteered to PAY the fee for a refurbished device ($200) but was told that this option was not available to me because when I first sent it in, I asked for repair! When I attemtped to escalate on one instance, I was treated quite rudely ("this is the end of the line, you can't speak to anyone higher than me"). Turned out that the device needed new flash memory.

This was for an out of warranty repair, although it's doubtful to me that the repairs would have been done any better if the device was under warranty. I did attempt to call Google during this debacle to enlist their support and did get the ear of a sympathetic engineer, but I didn't get the impression that this person was going to escalate internally within Google about this.

If you check this URL, Top 166 Complaints and Reviews about LG Cell Phones
you'll see that my experience is not unique.

End of rant. I love Nexus devices and probably will continue to buy even if made by LG, but I will also probably look more carefully at what I believe to be viable alternatives.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
if you think samsung support is any better, think again. the only cell phone company that i know that got customers taken care off was american motorola. they would literally overnight the phone from you and to you, but that was a while back. i have no clue how they handle customer's complaints now that they belong to people's republic.

overall i think lg is doing it right, i'm a very picky consumer and last 3 phone purchases i made were all lg phones. but my personal phone is a sony!

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
To play devils advocate here, this could be said with EVERY manufacturer. You'll find users on both sides of the coin experience completely different satisfaction rates at any given time. It's too dependant on who you're dealing with on any given day.

S5 tap'n

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I've never had an issue with a Samsung phone, tablet, television, refrigerator, or AC unit so I have no idea what kind of support they give.

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be up to most people's standards though since you never really see very many positive reviews on any company's support.

Reactions: cr6
OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
3 yes but not 3 in a row unless you are considering the nexus 6 a phablet and not a phone.

Still I would like to see more LG nexus phones as Google and LG are working good together. And LG has become one of the leading android manufacturers.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
I'm not sure I understand what you meant @pc747. LG had the Nexus 4, the Nexus 5 and the Nexus 5X. That's three Nexus devices in a row isn't it? I'm not even sure how the Nexus 6 factors in? I must have missed your point. :)

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I think he means there hasn't been 3 generations of LG made nexus phones in a row, as in they skipped LG last year when Motorola made it.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I think he means there hasn't been 3 generations of LG made nexus phones in a row, as in they skipped LG last year when Motorola made it.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
That's the way I read it. 3, but not 3 in a row. 2 in a row, then another one.