Google Voice?

Michlo

Reaction score
Originally Wallasey, UK now Los Angeles, CA
What exactly is the point of this please?

I've looked at the site, watched the video and was slightly intrigued by the possibility of calling my family back home in England but that was it. I really don't see what functionality this gives us that is worth confusing people with yet another new number for.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Cheers.

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
It's just another number that gives you a lot more options. You can have different voicemail greetings for different people, block numbers, have it go to your voicemail after say 6:00 p.m if you wanted to, etc...

I dont really use it, but I have it just in case. I wish I wouldve given this number to my bosses so I could control when I get calls from them and when to not let their calls go through, lol.

Last edited:

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well there are a lot of possibilities with g voice.
for one you can use it as a free alternative to other visual voicemail services so that you can see transcripts of your voicemails at a glance. Also you can use it as a free sms client to send texts if your plan limits you to a certain number. That's what I use it for but I think it has a few other useful features as well.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well there are a lot of possibilities with g voice.
for one you can use it as a free alternative to other visual voicemail services so that you can see transcripts of your voicemails at a glance. Also you can use it as a free sms client to send texts if your plan limits you to a certain number. That's what I use it for but I think it has a few other useful features as well.

That transcipter is usefull and useless at same time. lol, It reads so wrongly but i usually can interpet what the call is about.

and to op, i kept my same number so their was no fuss about giving people new number, all i wanted was a way better voicemail. :) except for the fact i cant upload a simple mp3 to the voicemail greetings. BS! ...i had a perfect droid talking greeting for my gma..

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I will agree that the transcriptions can be terrible at times but in my experience its based on how clear the person speaks. For instance when my mom, who speaks very clearly, leaves a message it gets transcribed perfectly. On the flipside I have a friend who mumbles so badly that google voice doesn't even bother to try lol.

Lenagainster

Reaction score
My main use for GV is a working number that I can give out to businesses that demand a phone number, to whom I do not want to provide my cell number. We do not have a "house phone". If anyone calls my GV number, they go straight to voicemail, and I get a notification on my cell. Occasionally, I'll make a call with my computer using GV, when I'm calling a business where I might be on hold for a while. Can't beat the price.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
What exactly is the point of this please?
Depends on who you ask.

For me, I use it to manage all inbound calls. My GV number rings my Droid and my office landline as the office has terrible coverage regardless of carrier. GV also blocks unwanted callers for me. They received a "number no longer in service message". I also rely on voicemail transcription.

You really should check out the various guides on GV if you still aren't getting a good feel for it. IIRC Gizmodo and it's sister sites had some fairly decent guides.

Some use it as a spam number. Some use it as an alternate line (for business or whatever). Others use it in other ways. Some don't use it at all. How you intend to use it is really up to you.

Last edited:
OP
Michlo

Michlo

Reaction score
Originally Wallasey, UK now Los Angeles, CA
Thank you very much, everyone. I'll do a little more research and perhaps give it a go.

Seems a good place to mention that for anybody who has Vonage, hopefully you already know that you can have your home number simultaneously call your mobile. :)

Cheers.

trucker1

Reaction score
My mother can now call me on her land land without it being long distance for her