Google Voice?????????????

jchammer123

Reaction score
My girlfriend and I are considering using Google Voice.

I'm curious as to what everyone thinks about it. Do you like it and why? Does it really have that many benefits to it? If so, what are they?

skipbl92

Reaction score
I use it mainly for SMS. I have the 250 txt plan, so I had asked that heavy txt'ers send SMS messages to my GV # and MMS to my cell. Plus GV helps with non-member Verizon friends use my GV # so my minutes aren't used. FYI - for SMS & voicemail make sure you check settings. I chose VZ for voicemail and setup SMS not to txt a copy to my cell wait will count against my 250.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

gixxertriplezero

Reaction score
We use it for the voicemail feature and love it

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
I use it to SMS during class from my laptop lol. I mainly have it for the voicemail functions though. It's like free visual voicemail and works much better than vvm did for me. It's definitely worth getting, especially since it's free.

skipbl92

Reaction score
Also I had a 3rd cell line which I ported from land line. Well for $20 I was able to port my 3rd cell number to GV (saved 9.99 a month). I pretty much just use that line for credit cards and such and only need voicemail. Was going to port it to magic jack but porting isn't available yet. FYI - porting to GV can only be done from cellular at this time.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
jchammer123

jchammer123

Reaction score
So if I want to use it for the visual voicemail, that can only be done with voicemail that was left on my GV number right? It won't work with voicemail on my regular number?

Gritwater

Reaction score
I am reluctant to switch to a new Google voice number that is also long distance.. but I can use it for visual voicemail for my regular number and love it. It sometimes translates weird but it is easier to check than normal voicemail even to listen to. Plus I have a work I don't get reception on my phone and I can see.messages online too.

texting and driving on my Droid X...thanks tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
At some point I will probably port my existing cell number to it, then no worries getting everyone to call that number, and also save money on texts. I just have to be sure there will be no lag in forwarding to my other cell number. Will be especially useful for VoIP when that gets to be seamless and highquality between cell/land lines and your pc (or LTE data on your phone!)

Jordan8

Reaction score
I use it for texting as well. I only pay for the 250 package on my phone bill & use google for the rest. FREE lol

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Reaction score
How do I

Get a new number from GV to use for SMS or to be displayed when i make calls i have been fighting with this for over a weeks. Please help

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
One warning to anyone who might port there number and miss it: This could cancel your existing VZW contract and incur an ETF.

I've been using the same cell number for years and it really is just easiest to port that number to GV. Too many different phones for me and I'll just make it easy for myself and everyone else with one number.

Only complaint I have (and I understand why they do this) is that you can't forward multiple GV numbers to the same phone. I really wanted a number to use for business, and I guess that means I probably keep my cell number and use GV for business. I suppose you could always use another service like Skype to forward, but I can't imagine double-forwarding a call would be very smart.