Google Voice

Porterhouse0

Reaction score
Does google voice still offer the "ListenIn" feature...where you can listen in to the voicemail to see if you want to answer it...cant figure out how to enable this feature...

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would think it would be on the settings page but it's not there. :(

OP
Porterhouse0

Porterhouse0

Reaction score

exactly! lol they keep advertising this feature but when i research about it says when u accept a call using GV on your phone...it announces the caller than is supposed to give you 4 options...

Call screening lets you know who's calling your Google number before you accept the call. It also allows you options on how to handle your calls so that you can choose to accept it, send the caller to voicemail and ListenInTM, or record the call.

There are two ways we screen your callers:

We'll show you their Caller ID on your Caller ID display.
As soon as you pick up your phone, we'll announce your callers to you. We've added this second level of screening ('audio' Caller ID), because Caller ID isn't particularly useful for blocked and unknown names and numbers. Once we announce your caller (for example, 'Call from Jack Johnson'), we give you four ways to handle the call:
Accept it (press 1)
Send it to voicemail (press 2)
ListenInTM on the voicemail (press 2 and stay on the line)
Accept and record the call (press 1 then 4)

...but when i accept the call it gives me only 2 options...answer the call or send to voicemail...if i hit send to voicemail it hangs up the call so they can record voicemail but no option to listen in. Weird!

OP
Porterhouse0

Porterhouse0

Reaction score

exactly! lol they keep advertising this feature but when i research about it says when u accept a call using GV on your phone...it announces the caller than is supposed to give you 4 options...

Call screening lets you know who's calling your Google number before you accept the call. It also allows you options on how to handle your calls so that you can choose to accept it, send the caller to voicemail and ListenInTM, or record the call.

There are two ways we screen your callers:

We'll show you their Caller ID on your Caller ID display.
As soon as you pick up your phone, we'll announce your callers to you. We've added this second level of screening ('audio' Caller ID), because Caller ID isn't particularly useful for blocked and unknown names and numbers. Once we announce your caller (for example, 'Call from Jack Johnson'), we give you four ways to handle the call:
Accept it (press 1)
Send it to voicemail (press 2)
ListenInTM on the voicemail (press 2 and stay on the line)
Accept and record the call (press 1 then 4)

...but when i accept the call it gives me only 2 options...answer the call or send to voicemail...if i hit send to voicemail it hangs up the call so they can record voicemail but no option to listen in. Weird!

ok i figured it out...well i wouldnt say figured it out but it works now...its just the first couple times i would hit send to voicemail it would D/C the call....but all is well now

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is the call actually disconnected? IIRC there's silence equal to the length of time for your VM greeting (for obvious reasons).