Google Voice Update

smwScott

Reaction score
I didn't see a thread about this anywhere else, so delete it if it's old news. Anyway, I just got an update to Google Voice in the market that apparently adds push notifications. I've been waiting for this forever, it's finally a complete SMS replacement! Looks like I can ditch my old GV app that checks every minute.

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
funny that just yesterday someone started a thread complaining about this. Google was working on it! Yey... now if they could only make a Google Doc's app, and maybe improve the built in calendar a bit... kinda cheesy for what it is... no color coding?! Rar...

searayman

Reaction score
how do you know it adds push notifications? where does it say it, i dont think i got an update for it...

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
how do you know it adds push notifications? where does it say it, i dont think i got an update for it...

Check the market to see if the updates there. It connects right to your Google account, hence pushed notifications... no longer a 5 10 15 minute refresh...

OP
S

smwScott

Reaction score
I should've been more specific. Go into the settings and where it used to ask you how often to refresh it now asks you whether you want to "Sync with Inbox".

ptfd13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 7
Awesome, this update took care of the biggest downfall to this app. I hated getting a phone call and not getting the voice mail soon afterward.

searayman

Reaction score
ok cool i think i got it! Does anyone know if the push will work when using juice defender?

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
i could have looked it up, but what is "juice defender" - sounds yummy

searayman

Reaction score

check the link in my sig about doubling your phones battery life, it will tell you everything you need to know about juice defender

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

check the link in my sig about doubling your phones battery life, it will tell you everything you need to know about juice defender

Cool. Well it looks as though with this app you control when you sync stuff, correct? If so I would think you wouldn't get an instant notification if your telling it not to sync for a while... i think.

searayman

Reaction score
I think google may have been a little late with this update, as i think i may have become addicted to chomp...

unix.punkx

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, did the update and it didnt 'push' then saw you had to change the refresh to Sync with Inbox in settings. This is so awesome, I might have to get rid of text messaging in general now :)

JCo352

Reaction score
When I set up my GV I chose to not get a GV number, if I get one I can get free text messaging?

backlash

Reaction score
So, this may be a dumb question. Prior to this update, I had it set to reresh the notifications for GV set to 5 minutes (set within the GV app). Now there is a Synchronize Inbox checkbox.......................................does this mean I have to have "Sync" turned on all the time????? And if I have "Sync" turned off, that I won't get GV sms messages?

I only ask because I usually keep Sync turned off, via the power control widget.
I can test this later, just looking for a quick answer.