Google Voice - The Non-Invite thread

normbarb

Reaction score
Billing Question

I currently have a non-Google number: How are the minutes billed when the call is transferred to Google voicemail? Do I pay for the minutes or is the caller charged, even if they are calling from another Verizon cell phone.

If I get a Google number: Can Verizon cell users still call free on my Verizon number? If so, will it use Google voicemail?

Thanks, Norm

bodean

Reaction score
Do most of you have allow the option to use google voice or not use google voice number when dialing? Or do you use it all the time? I'm only really using it when I call my work (to spoof them thinking it is a lan line)

Ed Blown Vert

Reaction score
Website
ls1.com
Current Phone Model
Samsung S22U
Do most of you have allow the option to use google voice or not use google voice number when dialing? Or do you use it all the time? I'm only really using it when I call my work (to spoof them thinking it is a lan line)

I would like to use it when I want to. But for some reason, it isn't working for me.

It never uses google voice, no matter what setting I use.

Reaction score
Google was great i transfered my GV account from my secondary gmail (where I got the invite) to my primary email. it took a few days and all transferred over :)

My question is now I get alerts on GMAIL, TEXT (which I turned off) and GV app.

What do most people get alerted on GMAIL or GV app or both? it seems redundant but I guess its good to have it on email as well as GV account but maybe only GV account is needed?

thanks

Ed Blown Vert

Reaction score
Website
ls1.com
Current Phone Model
Samsung S22U
Google was great i transfered my GV account from my secondary gmail (where I got the invite) to my primary email. it took a few days and all transferred over :)

What do most people get alerted on GMAIL or GV app or both? it seems redundant but I guess its good to have it on email as well as GV account but maybe only GV account is needed?

thanks

I just use the GV app.

Reaction score
so then the only copy you have is in GV (which is fine) i just checked and you can forward the VM from GV through email or SMS after the fact :)

thanks

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Today my daughter asked me - Dad why are you calling me with Google Voice still, it is very laggy and out of sync with the delay. I know the app isn't VoIP, but has anyone else been told about a lag when using GV? I disabled it and called her back and she said it sounded fine w/o GV.

Thanks in advance for any input.

CrashnBrn

Reaction score

thanks

Is there even a way to disable GV from sending the text to you when you get a text to your GV number? I hate getting 2 notifications for the same things.

accordkyd

Reaction score
SillyRabbitt - You must program both the foriegn number and your gv number to your Friends/Family package. The foriegn number is a google exchange line. It sends a message using the internet on your phone to gv then it calls gv when press the contact and press "call with google Voice" button. It calls the exchange and it reads your caller ID and connects your call.
To get free incoming go in your google settings and opt to have your google voice number shown on your caller id when people call you. That is the only way verizon registers your google voice so you get free calls.

cookiemomster

Reaction score
Cookiemonster, how do you get my contact pictures to show up on my alp gvoice. The problem I think is I have to add a +1 to everybodies number in my contacts?
\

I am so sorry, I don't have the answer to that. It wasn't important to me and I didn't even notice that they didn't display. My best guess answer would be this: When you receive a text message from someone, google assigns them a different phone number which to my knowledge is the same every time. If this number were to be put into your friends contact that has a picture assigned, there picture would display. If you are making your caller ID display your google voice number so your inbound calls are free, I doubt this would work.

I will look into this more.

cookiemomster

Reaction score
Honestly I have had some great calls using google voice, but more often than not the calls have had issues. I stopped using google voice for now. Hadn't heard that talking through an aquarium call for quite a while, had forgotten what one of those were like. LOL.

TheCyclist

Reaction score
Since the GV ringback app is not longer being supported by developer, is there anyone picking it up? I would really like to just have my GV number on friends and family and be able to call out with my contact list, does anyone know of a way to do this?

I've been using the call out feature when just dialing my GV number, but that's kinda a pain when I have over 500 contacts and calling multiple daily while never remembering their numbers. =P

Anyone have any advice?

Reaction score
SillyRabbitt - You must program both the foriegn number and your gv number to your Friends/Family package. The foriegn number is a google exchange line. It sends a message using the internet on your phone to gv then it calls gv when press the contact and press "call with google Voice" button. It calls the exchange and it reads your caller ID and connects your call.
To get free incoming go in your google settings and opt to have your google voice number shown on your caller id when people call you. That is the only way verizon registers your google voice so you get free calls.

THANKS accordkyd.

Two questions: If I am just using GV for my VZW voicemail and I have my GV # set to my FnF that will suffice and take care of the minutes for VM correct?

Then if I want free calls altogher I need to figure out my GV foriegn exchange nuumber?

thanks

mpenda

Reaction score
I currently have a non-Google number: How are the minutes billed when the call is transferred to Google voicemail? Do I pay for the minutes or is the caller charged, even if they are calling from another Verizon cell phone.

If I get a Google number: Can Verizon cell users still call free on my Verizon number? If so, will it use Google voicemail?

Thanks, Norm
Norm.
If you have a Google number, its on top of your VZW number, but not instead of. So people can call your VZW number directly. VZW to VZW calls do not charge your minutes, but VZW to Google does charge the callers minutes (as I understand it).
You can forward VM only from the Droid to GV if you so desire (so all your VMs go to one place). That also gives you a visual VM for free instead of $2.99/mo. Time spent leaving the VM? Probably just as in a live call, the callers minutes will get deducted.
Hope this helps.