Google Voice - The Non-Invite thread

Reaction score
i am so lost with this. so I picked a GV# now it wants a forwarding # Add a forwarding phone that will ring when your Google Voice number is called.

what do I put there my cell #?

Do i now have the option to give people my cell or GV#?

and can i use my existing # when I want or the new GV# when I want and get voicemail for both?

thanks

Dragoro

Reaction score
How do you set up Google Voice, so that it does not eat up your minute with mobile to mobile?

You have to have the friends and family option to your plan, then just add you Google voice # to your friends and family plan. There is a way to configure google voice so you can dial your google voice # and make free outgoing calls, as well as receive them.

How does this work? When I make an outgoing call with google voice, it displays some odd number, that IS NOT my google voice number.

Yeah thats the number that dials into google voice. Itll change when you move from city to city. For free outgoing calls, you need to add that number to friends and family list, but be aware, when you travel, that number will change and your outgoing calls will count against your minutes.

Dragoro

Reaction score
i am so lost with this. so I picked a GV# now it wants a forwarding # Add a forwarding phone that will ring when your Google Voice number is called.

what do I put there my cell #?

Do i now have the option to give people my cell or GV#?

thanks

Yes, you put your cell number there.

After you add your number and verify ownership of the phone (it calls you i think to verify) then you can give people either number to call you with. You have to download the google voice app off the market to recieve or dial out calls through google voice. You also have to use that app to send sms through google voice.

Reaction score
Ok thanks! I am getting somewhere now but have a few more questions I am confused with.

1- i dont really want to give people a new # but i did sign up for a new # can I use that new GV# when I want but also hook up my vzw # to have my vzw voicemail go to GV so I can get a text message transcpt and a audio message of the voicemail?

2- why when i call my GV# i get a recording of someone saying we will try to locate this GV person. its not like a seemless forward. shouldnt it be that someone calls the GV# i.e. 415.555.1212 which then immeditely rings the real cell # without and lag or intermediary thing?

3- i got the GV invite to a backup email anyway to move it to my primary gmail account?

4- can i dump the GV# and just move back to having it with my normal cell number? thats if I cannot do #1

thanks thanks thanks for the help!

Dragoro

Reaction score
1, Yes you can use the gv number when you want, and your verizon number when you want. Yes you can set it so google voice will be your voicemail no matter which number they call you on. You wont be using verizon voicemail at all.

2 dont know. never called my own google number, never thought to try that lol.

3 Think so, not sure though.

4 Yes, just uncheck the box next to your cell number on the google voice page, and your cell will not be connected to gv. You can add and remove your phone when ever ya want.

Reaction score
1,Yes you can set it so google voice will be your voicemail no matter which number they call you on. You wont be using verizon voicemail at all.

How and where do I do this?

3 Think so, not sure though.
How can I find out how to move the email account? i hate having to open two gmail accoutns at once on Firefox it doesnt work you have to sign in and out to get access to each one :(

4 Yes, just uncheck the box next to your cell number on the google voice page, and your cell will not be connected to gv. You can add and remove your phone when ever ya want.

I guess I mean can I start over when I first signed up it gave me a choice to hook in with just my cell# or open a GV# (which is what i did) can I go back and just use my cell and dump my GV# or no need because I dont really have to use the GV# becasue i can set my cell # to use GV as voicemail? (but how do i set GV to be my voicemail for my cell #?)

sorry to be so thick!!

if i use GV# to dial with is the calls being place over the internet or is it using my minutes on my plan? i set GV to never dial out but I am totally confused on this process as well.

I guess i am caught between two worlds vzw and google not really understanding if i am going to get charged and for what ;(

thanks!!!!!

Dragoro

Reaction score
1 Once you add your carrier cell number to gv, there will be a red statement next to the number asking you if you would like google voice to handle your voicemail.

3. Not sure where to look, maybe look on the help section in the google voice page.

cookiemomster

Reaction score
I am attempting to use google voice and this is what I have discovered:
Download the google voice app for your phone. In the settings of the app you can decide to use google voice for your calls or not. When you dial out and you have chosen google voice from the app, it will dial a google number to place the call (randomly assigned, not your newly chosen number.) You can add this number to friends and family, but it can and does change. Therefore you could inadvertently use your minutes if the dial out number has changed. In the settings of the google voice app you can choose to decide with each call. I would personally not use google voice to place calls until you have a month with a lot of minutes left that you could afford to waste some playing with this. When in one area the randomly assigned dial out number is fairly consistent.
Place your new google voice number in your friends and family. All your INcoming calls will be free, regardless of how they originate (landline, t-mobile, etc.) The people who can call you free should still use your regular cell number, such as your family. Other Verizon people will be charged minutes since the google voice number is not a verizon number.
An option to make all calls free would be to bookmark the googlevoice page in your browser and place all your calls from there. At this time, I have not found a way to place calls from within the app.
Finally, there is a ringback app for google voice called GV by Evan Charlton. It is no longer being developed or supported. What this app will do is place the call and then your phone will ring back and the caller ID will show your google voice number. Then your outgoing calls will be free assuming that your google voice number is in your friends and family list. I haven't yet found a ringback app that is more reliable than this one.
You can also have a google number and choose not to use it until the google voice app is developed a little further while still having some of the other features that comes with it.

addendum: I forget if it is online or in the app but to get the incoming calls free you have to choose the setting that makes incoming calls display your google voice number as caller ID (the number you have chosen.)

cisco0910

Reaction score
Cookiemonster, how do you get my contact pictures to show up on my alp gvoice. The problem I think is I have to add a +1 to everybodies number in my contacts?

Reaction score
I am attempting to use google voice and this is what I have discovered:
Download the google voice app for your phone. In the settings of the app you can decide to use google voice for your calls or not. When you dial out and you have chosen google voice from the app, it will dial a google number to place the call (randomly assigned, not your newly chosen number.) You can add this number to friends and family, but it can and does change. Therefore you could inadvertently use your minutes if the dial out number has changed. In the settings of the google voice app you can choose to decide with each call. I would personally not use google voice to place calls until you have a month with a lot of minutes left that you could afford to waste some playing with this. When in one area the randomly assigned dial out number is fairly consistent.
Place your new google voice number in your friends and family. All your INcoming calls will be free, regardless of how they originate (landline, t-mobile, etc.) The people who can call you free should still use your regular cell number, such as your family. Other Verizon people will be charged minutes since the google voice number is not a verizon number.
An option to make all calls free would be to bookmark the googlevoice page in your browser and place all your calls from there. At this time, I have not found a way to place calls from within the app.
Finally, there is a ringback app for google voice called GV by Evan Charlton. It is no longer being developed or supported. What this app will do is place the call and then your phone will ring back and the caller ID will show your google voice number. Then your outgoing calls will be free assuming that your google voice number is in your friends and family list. I haven't yet found a ringback app that is more reliable than this one.
You can also have a google number and choose not to use it until the google voice app is developed a little further while still having some of the other features that comes with it.

addendum: I forget if it is online or in the app but to get the incoming calls free you have to choose the setting that makes incoming calls display your google voice number as caller ID (the number you have chosen.)

thanks for all the help! loving GV now its really cool. no more dialing in for VM :)

Reaction score
Can you have two GV accounts linked to the same cell number or that will not work? if that will work how would you use the GV app? sign in and out each time you want to get the voicemails?

or can i set GV to email my two gmail accounts?

thanks

ronimous

Reaction score
So are texts send and received through GV free? I tried it out and I recieved a notification in both GV and handcent...the one in handcent displayed a google number, so it looks like I was dinged for the text.

Anyone know the scoop?

jjb

Reaction score
App Icon

Really dumb question here, is GV supposed to have an icon on my droid like other apps do?