google voice texting question

JoeeDB

Reaction score
Is there any way to have a sound for when you get a text for your google voice number? I tried just going through the default messaging/handcent to use that sound but the only way to do that is to have the notification in the status bar (don't want to have to clear that all the time, trying to switch to just my google voice number so I won't use those anymore). Is there any other way? I can't find any.

backlash

Reaction score
This is how mine works. I only use the GV app for texting. I don't use Handcent though. I configed the notification tone through the GV app.

OP
J

JoeeDB

Reaction score
Mind telling me how you set that up? I can't find it.

backlash

Reaction score
GV app, settings, refresh and notification. Checked box for Inbox Notifications, select ringtone.

OP
J

JoeeDB

Reaction score
Wow, yeah I just went and looked there before reading that. Don't know how I missed it, thanks!

OP
J

JoeeDB

Reaction score
Actually, I have another question about GV texting. Is there anyway to stop it from texting my verizon number whenever I get a voicemail/text/whatever on GV? I'm thinking about switching back to not having texting on my plan and just using GV but that's pointless if its gonna send a text to my verizon number everytime.

D-Roid

Reaction score
Actually, I have another question about GV texting. Is there anyway to stop it from texting my verizon number whenever I get a voicemail/text/whatever on GV? I'm thinking about switching back to not having texting on my plan and just using GV but that's pointless if its gonna send a text to my verizon number everytime.

I had the same question. I think this is what you need... Go to the Google Voice website, go to Settings, under the Phone settings in the forwards to: setting click on Edit. Uncheck the following: "Receive SMS on this phone (mobile phones only)"

My understanding is with this setup, SMS will only go to your GV inbox now. I think there is some kind of 5 minute minimum delay though...