Google Voice SMS (free?)

ruinah

Reaction score
I've been reading threads on this forum for the past few days and still can't get my head around GV and SMS. My question is, when you use GV to send SMS it's essentially free right? When someone responds they should be SMS'ing my GV number and not my normal cell. I would think at that point Verizon really isn't involved as long as I don't have my SMS's forwarded via GV to my cell? So, can you use GV solely and avoid text message fees from Verizon? I use GV outbound for all calls and also for voicemail. I had a text conversation with someone yesterday and thought I was using GV solely but then figured out Verizon thought I sent 10 texts. The number I was texting was another GV number btw. Thanks in advance for the help and clarification.

nerdbox08

Reaction score
As you said, from what I understand, as long as you do it through GV and not have it forwarded to your Verizon number it's free.

Unless you have unlimited minutes or you have setup the voip work around you are still using minutes by calling out on the GV number.

OP
ruinah

ruinah

Reaction score
how do you set it NOT to send to your mobile in Google Voice? On the settings screen in the web interface I only see a checkbox there for forward SMS to email. I don't see an option anywhere for forward SMS to mobile. I think this is what is screwing me up. I can't find that option. Is it a setting on the Droid itself??

nerdbox08

Reaction score
how do you set it NOT to send to your mobile in Google Voice? On the settings screen in the web interface I only see a checkbox there for forward SMS to email. I don't see an option anywhere for forward SMS to mobile. I think this is what is screwing me up. I can't find that option. Is it a setting on the Droid itself??

I'm only getting the mobile version of the website so I can't poke around and tell you right now and I only vaguely remember seeing the setting on my computer.... I'll look when I get home if no one answers by that time.

OP
ruinah

ruinah

Reaction score
i think I found it. Under Settings then PHONE. There is a Receive SMS on this phone checkbox. I unchecked it and will test it out in a bit.

nerdbox08

Reaction score
i think I found it. Under Settings then PHONE. There is a Receive SMS on this phone checkbox. I unchecked it and will test it out in a bit.

That sound familiar but like I said the mobile version of the site isn't as extensive as the full version and google doesn't give the option for the full site.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I had a text conversation with someone yesterday and thought I was using GV solely but then figured out Verizon thought I sent 10 texts.
There are 1 of 2 things that you need to do:

Text only via the GV app

or

Figure out the SMS forwarding number that GV is using for your contacts. You can then use the stock Messaging app (or any alternative such as Handcent) using those contact numbers. I'm not sure if those numbers periodically change or not. I'd recommend using the first approach and turning off SMS forwarding.

That sound familiar but like I said the mobile version of the site isn't as extensive as the full version and google doesn't give the option for the full site.
Try changing the user agent setting in your browser.

Reaction score
Question abou this, If I were to text my family that have verizon through GV, would they be using her text msgs? I know it would be free for me. I assume if it does, GV texting is good for me to use with family and friends that do not have verizon.

Reaction score
I had a text conversation with someone yesterday and thought I was using GV solely but then figured out Verizon thought I sent 10 texts.
There are 1 of 2 things that you need to do:

Text only via the GV app

or

Figure out the SMS forwarding number that GV is using for your contacts. You can then use the stock Messaging app (or any alternative such as Handcent) using those contact numbers. I'm not sure if those numbers periodically change or not. I'd recommend using the first approach and turning off SMS forwarding.

Try changing the user agent setting in your browser.

I just realized with using the GV number for your contacts, and using Handcent still uses your text. Even though you are texting the (406) number, it is coming from your verizon number, meaning you are charged for texting. So what I do, for those that I text with not on verizon, I used the GV app, all others I use handsent.

bastosero

Reaction score
Just to add on this, currently Google Voice does not support SMS internationally, yet.

droidemere

Reaction score
How much slower is texting via google voice rather than the regular verizon texting? Is it worth cancelling your texting plan?

e40

Reaction score
How much slower is texting via google voice rather than the regular verizon texting? Is it worth cancelling your texting plan?

I found the delay in receiving GV txts unacceptably slow. It took 15 minutes for me to get a txt once, so I went back to VZ's messaging.