Google Voice Questions

Privette1995

Reaction score
So using this shortcut uses a different GV number for the outgoing call? right? So for freinds and family to work with this shortcut you would have to add your real GV number along with the number GV dials out with......otherwise dont use the shortcut and just dial your GV number and select option #2........does this sound right?

backlash

Reaction score
Do any of you use Google Voice and canceled your text messaging/calling plans?

Thanks you,

Famous1
I've never had a text messaging plan, but I've been using Google Voice for sending all my SMS/text messages. It's been working out GREAT!

bhall238

Reaction score
i need help

I just installed Google Voice, but hadn't cleared my voice mail indicator under the Verizon system. I can not get rid of the voice mail indicator. If I click on it or manually dial *86 it dials my own phone number (I hear my greeting) which then creates another voice mail message indication. Please help, what do I need to do to totally clear the indicator? What did I do wrong (did anyone else have this happen?)? I set this up using my own number; I did not choose the option to create a new Google phone number.

I see this as a way to never have to call the voice mail number and enter a password to hear them, I can just read them as an email. The voice transcription is not perfect, but I get the gist and can decide if I need to return a call. Calling a number and having to enter a password, press pound, the listen to a recording telling me how many messages I had before I could hear them was always a thorn in my side, (and I think a way for Verizon to get some extra minutes of airtime if you add up time from all subscribers doing that) so I think Google Voice is great for that reason alone:icon_ banana:.

imiller913

Reaction score
Where can you find out what access number GV is going to use for an outbound call?

After you set up your gv make a test call and select to make call with gv and it will show up on your screen for a min while it is connecting the call then it goes away. There is a video on youtube about it also.

imiller913

Reaction score
I just installed Google Voice, but hadn't cleared my voice mail indicator under the Verizon system. I can not get rid of the voice mail indicator. If I click on it or manually dial *86 it dials my own phone number (I hear my greeting) which then creates another voice mail message indication. Please help, what do I need to do to totally clear the indicator? What did I do wrong (did anyone else have this happen?)? I set this up using my own number; I did not choose the option to create a new Google phone number.

I see this as a way to never have to call the voice mail number and enter a password to hear them, I can just read them as an email. The voice transcription is not perfect, but I get the gist and can decide if I need to return a call. Calling a number and having to enter a password, press pound, the listen to a recording telling me how many messages I had before I could hear them was always a thorn in my side, (and I think a way for Verizon to get some extra minutes of airtime if you add up time from all subscribers doing that) so I think Google Voice is great for that reason alone:icon_ banana:.

To clear your verizon voicemail you will have to go to google voice on your pc and click to deactivate google voice mail. Then go into your verizon voicemail and clear it out, then go back to google voice on your pc and activate google vm again. That is the way I had to do mine Hope that helps.

sincerity

Reaction score
what is the sequence under google vm to get it to automatically play voicemails w/o inputting passcode every time...i've tried ### ### ####,passcode,1 and a lot of other combinations but can't seem to get it right...

**edit** I see you can remove it under google VM settings...but guess you can't use the old pause method anymore?

bhall238

Reaction score

To clear your verizon voicemail you will have to go to google voice on your pc and click to deactivate google voice mail. Then go into your verizon voicemail and clear it out, then go back to google voice on your pc and activate google vm again. That is the way I had to do mine Hope that helps.

imiller913, thanks so much, that is exactly what I needed and it worked.

Privette1995

Reaction score
mtnbikejack, on my droid it shows "calling with (and a number) at the top of the screen when I place a call with the "call with Google voice" option....but strange enough when I just called my house like that the caller id still showed my actual GV number on the home phone's caller id....

imiller913

Reaction score

imiller913, thanks so much, that is exactly what I needed and it worked.

Sure glad to help

bossrogue

Reaction score
I haven't set up my Google Voice yet, but I basically want to use it as a replacement VM instead of paying for Verizon Visual Voicemail, which barely works. How do I do that. I have unlimited texts, so I don't need to worry about forwarding texts or anything

imiller913

Reaction score
mtnbikejack, on my droid it shows "calling with (and a number) at the top of the screen when I place a call with the "call with Google voice" option....but strange enough when I just called my house like that the caller id still showed my actual GV number on the home phone's caller id....

yeah the number at the top is the number google routes the call through for you. And it shows your gv number because you made the call through gv instead of your regular vzw number.

lbhomie

Reaction score
I haven't set up my Google Voice yet, but I basically want to use it as a replacement VM instead of paying for Verizon Visual Voicemail, which barely works. How do I do that. I have unlimited texts, so I don't need to worry about forwarding texts or anything

I'm in the same situation. I have a GV # now but I don't know how to get my verizon # to forward my messages there.

Droid101

Reaction score
My Question is why do we have to wait for invites for this or sign up with google and wait? Why not make it available to anyone with a phone running Android OS? Just thought about today and was curious:)

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Limited beta. Google tends to take this approach until a product goes into wider release. Even gmail was handled the same way at first.